Minwax Polycrylic

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Minwax Polycrylic

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

Thumbs up!
I just full-length dipped a half-dozen without using a squeegee at the top of the dip tube; the poly came out quite thick, glossy and smooth, very low odor and dried very quickly. I dipped right over my cap dip and cresting, fletching tape adhered very well after it dried overnight and I'm very happy with the results. This method uses a lot more poly than the gasket (or squeegee) method but multiple coats are not needed. I used a wallpaper tray as a drip tray and was able to suck up must of the run-off with a syringe and squirt it right back in the can before it began to set. Being water-based, it cleans up easily from the dip tube and drip tray in the laundry sink. Polycrylic is available in flat, semi-gloss and glossy depending on your preference.
Highly recommended by this guy! :D
Aim small, miss small!

Crazynate

Re: Minwax Polycrylic

#2 Post by Crazynate »

I use the same stuff. Love it.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Crazynate wrote:I use the same stuff. Love it.
Do you dip & drip or squeegee it off with a gasket?
Aim small, miss small!

Crazynate

#4 Post by Crazynate »

I only use it for protection and gloss over my dip. I also have dipped full length carbons in it too. Works great. I used to use the Sherwin Williams poly but this is just as good and cheaper.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

For clarification, fellers...the "dip & drip" method involves just inserting the stained, capped and crested arrow into a tube filled the poly all the way up to the nock junction, then slowly drawing it out and hanging it over a drip tray, allowing the excess to run off the pile (point) end. I was afraid it would be too thick, or bumpy, or uneven, but, nope! Works outstanding and leaves a nice thick coat probably several thousandths thick. I would have no qualms shooting these arrows in a heavy rain, if the feathers were treated properly.
Aim small, miss small!

Longbowfanatic

#6 Post by Longbowfanatic »

I've been using polycrylic for awhile and like it as well. The only difference in my approach is that I sand the shafts with 0000 steel wool in between dippings.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Longbowfanatic wrote:I've been using polycrylic for awhile and like it as well. The only difference in my approach is that I sand the shafts with 0000 steel wool in between dippings.
If you are using several dippings, how thick is your final coat?
Aim small, miss small!

Longbowfanatic

#8 Post by Longbowfanatic »

I usually dip them three times before cresting, then three more times after cresting. I sand in-between the first three coats. After cresting, I no longer sand.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Wow, gotta be three feet thick!
Aim small, miss small!

Longbowfanatic

#10 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Captainkirk wrote:Wow, gotta be three feet thick!
I'm always trying to over achieve! LOL. How many coats do you use? My 60-65 shafts end up about 650 grains with a 30.5" BOP shaft and 190 grain broadhead.

Return to “All about arrows”