Cap Dip question

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Cap Dip question

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

For those of you who cap-dip their woodies;
I have been using Varathane stain (dries super-quick) and then masking the top end of the shaft and spraying on the 'cap dip' with Rustoleum 2X white. Aside from lots of over spray and a longer dry time, it works quite well and dries hard, no reaction with the Testor's enamel I use for cresting. But...with the advent of winter here in the midwest, I think the cold temps are going to require 'real' cap dipping indoors so I'm building up a dip tube setup much like the one I use for my clear coat. The question is; "What paint to use?"
Is regular Rustoleum brush-on paint relatively the same? Even so, Rustoleum is an oil-based enamel. It would be much more advantageous to use a durable latex low-odor paint that would clean up with hot, soapy water in the laundry tub; I use this with my Polycrylic clear dip and it's great. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, durable latex paint that will play nice with the Testor's cresting paints?
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

Re: Cap Dip question

#2 Post by stumper »

Never thought of dipping. I hang a piece of fishing line and drill a super small hole at the top of each shaft and hang them on the line. I then just wipe on the stain with a cloth and then wipe on the tung oil after it dries..... This would be pretty easy to do inside.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

I have spray painted things outside in the winter and brought them in to dry with great results. I dont think you will have to change your mode of operation.

Latex paint would be my last choice as I don't find it to be very durable, it sort of sets on top of the wood rather than soaking in and bonding to it.

Crazynate

#4 Post by Crazynate »

I have never experienced using any latex for dipping I would question its durability too. I have tried other products like rustoleum oil based but it takes way to long to dry and I hate how it separates since it's oil based. I still prefer my Bohning Lacquers for dipping. I like the hard chip resistant finish
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Crazynate

#5 Post by Crazynate »

Also I only use the dip method. I have tried spray paints and I make to big of mess lol.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Thanks, guys. I have had no complaints from the Queen since I started this endeavor and would like to keep it that way. Naturally, I could skip the cap dip and crest/poly over the Varathane, but I really like the cap dip effect and it makes finding arrows in the grass much easier as well...not that I ever miss... :? ...Clay, you might be right; if I go outside to paint with warm arrow shafts and a warm can of paint, I'm only out there maybe 10 minutes. Maybe I can get away with shooting the color then getting the shafts back inside quickly. Of course it probably matters greatly whether we're talking cold as in 30 or as in 30 below... :roll: I guess I will give it some thought. I could have painted outside today as it was 40 F out there.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

FWIW; I found a small can of Rustoleum white here at work, and being naturally curious, I popped the lid and stirred it up. Very little odor and fumes coming off it, so I dipped a screwdriver blade in and held it over the can to drip. It seemed to cling nicely without much runoff, and still very low odor so as soon as I can I will buy a quart and some more dowel rod and give it a test drive.
I did investigate the True North water-based acrylics, but I think the cost is outrageous compared to Rustoleum and Testor's products. For what it would cost for a quart of cap dip and a basic assortment of cresting colors and clear coat, you could buy a dozen custom arrows, fletched up and ready to shoot. These arrows I build aren't going in a museum; they are gonna get shot at targets, stumps and animals, beat to crap, stuck in logs and straw bales and under grass. My goal is to have durable, inexpensive products that can be procured locally and used in the house year-round. I will keep you guys posted.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “All about arrows”