fresh set of stumpers

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Longtrad

fresh set of stumpers

#1 Post by Longtrad »

Stumpers/rovers/blunts... thumpers are my favorite type of arrows! I have never really been much of a field point/target shooter, and despite my best intentions my designated target arrows usually end up getting turned into blunts sooner or later. I decided I would try to remedy this problem by making a specialized set of "thumpers"

Here are the stats

victory vforce 400 spine shaft cut 29 1/8th" from nock valley to back of point

100 grain brass insert turned down so it will be flush with the shaft.

aluminum footing the same length as the insert (I have had bad luck with footings that are a little longer than the insert)

150 grain small game thumper

2 coats of oil based enamel spray paint

and 3x5" chartreuse shield cuts I cut down to be flat on the back end.

The whole set up is only 10 grains more than my normal target/hunting arrows, which I blame on the paint.

How about you guys? do you have special stumping arrows or do you just swap out the points and use your old reliables? Feel free to show them off and talk about what makes a good stumping arrow in your opinion.

Graps

Re: fresh set of stumpers

#2 Post by Graps »

Yes I do. I use Douglass fur and Ace Hex blunts.
Pink fletching buy the way, that saves me time looking for my arrows.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I usually just dig some old arrows out of the bucket for stumping. I do like those though.

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Those look really good Longtrad! In the past my stumpers have been Douglas fir with a judo point. I'm thinking I'm not sticking with that, because we have bent the very front end of the judos all to often, and I've beat up and exploded my firs.

I'll likely just screw on a point to some of my carbon target arrows since I had used footings and collars on them. They are super tough.

I'm very interested in the points you're using to replace the judo. Do those thumpers hide much under grass and such?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#5 Post by Longtrad »

they stop an arrow a lot better than you think they would plus they are bad medicine on smaller critters. . I don't think anything can beat a judo for tall grass though. I think judos are probably a little softer on arrows too because of their spring arms. If you catch something hard with the edge of a small game thumpers your arrows are going to get some serious torque. That is their greatest weakness imo, I've had one that broke right off at the threads after it ripped the threaded post through the insert and shaft. That was also after I hit a metal post though so something had to give

Return to “All about arrows”