Should have quit while I was ahead.

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Shadowhntr

Re: Should have quit while I was ahead.

#11 Post by Shadowhntr »

Oh man....I've been there Dave. Never fun. At least you still have time so it's just a good lesson....painful, but good.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#12 Post by Captainkirk »

The Walmart glue was probably designed for plastic vanes.
I've used Bohning Fletch Tape and Fletch-Tite Platinum with good success. But whatever works for you, just keep doing it!
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#13 Post by stumper »

Probably Kirk.... I have used two rolls of the fletching tape and do love how easy it is. It seemed like feathers started consistently coming off after about a hundred or so shots, not that they are hard to put back on. The bear paw archery glue is fantastic and sets so fast its ridiculous. Come to think of it, I have never been disappointed with a bear paw product.... Speaking of which, it's time to do my one year later Slick Stick review.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#14 Post by Captainkirk »

We all forget things. Come to think of it, I was supposed to get back with you regarding my bow string dimensions, wasn't I? :oops:
They say the mind is the first thing to go. And I can't remember what the second thing was... :shock:
I love the tape and haven't had any issues...yet. Have not tried the Bear Paw stuff yet, might give it a try.
Aim small, miss small!

Dan

#15 Post by Dan »

If you put a dab of glue on the front and back of each feather it usually takes care of any peeling off issues

stumper

#16 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:40 pm We all forget things. Come to think of it, I was supposed to get back with you regarding my bow string dimensions, wasn't I? :oops:
They say the mind is the first thing to go. And I can't remember what the second thing was... :shock:
I love the tape and haven't had any issues...yet. Have not tried the Bear Paw stuff yet, might give it a try.
lol yes. it's cool, I figured you'd remember sooner or later. I don't know the specs of the bear paw glue, its 10 bucks for 10g or 16 bucks for 20. I like how low the viscosity is.

Longtrad

#17 Post by Longtrad »

That stinks! Glad you were able the save the arrows though. I have been using the dap rapid fuse superglue from Walmart and I like that for fletching. I'm have to try the bear paw glue one of these days. Where do you get your feathers from?

stumper

#18 Post by stumper »

Longtrad wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:13 pm That stinks! Glad you were able the save the arrows though. I have been using the dap rapid fuse superglue from Walmart and I like that for fletching. I'm have to try the bear paw glue one of these days. Where do you get your feathers from?
I actually buy 3" bearpaw feathers from Kustomking because they are the cheapest I can find. 25 bucks for 100 count.

stumper

#19 Post by stumper »

All arrows have been stripped sanded and received their first new coat of tungoil. New feathers should be here soon.

Lowcountry

#20 Post by Lowcountry »

I used some Gorilla glue one time to fletch an arrow. I've used the Blue Top Gorilla glue several times with no problems, but this time the store was out, so I bought a different type of Gorilla Glue. I fletched up the arrow, put the top back on the glue and went back in the house. When I checked my arrow 15 or 20 minutes later, I found out that the Gorilla Glue I had used was apparently some kind of "foaming" glue, and boy let me tell you, it did its job. The fletch were adhered, but the glue had foamed up around each feather, in some places as much as 1/4". It was a MESS. The next day I trimmed as much of the foamed up glue away as I could, but it was still a mess. I still have the arrow, but needless to say, it is a practice arrow now.

Glad to hear that it sounds like you have a working fix for your arrows. Good Luck getting them how you want them.

Return to “All about arrows”