Chinese fletch tape and new arrows.

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Jamesh76

Re: Chinese fletch tape and new arrows.

#11 Post by Jamesh76 »

fletched up some more using this stuff. I still like it and will continue to use it. I had some come loose. Held at the end where I used super glue. Not sure why it came lose,looks like it was my fault during application as the feather wasn't pressed down. I pressed it back down and re-glued the end.

I ordered 5 more rolls..... $7.55 shipped from china.

stumper

#12 Post by stumper »

I used fletch tape for years and glued ends front and back. I had to refletch all the time. Now I use bear paw cyberbond and have yet to have a feather come off. I like the idea of tape, but won't go back.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Longtrad

#13 Post by Longtrad »

I have been wondering about that cheapo tape, I am not surprised it is comparable in quality, tape is pretty dang simple and I wouldnt be surprised one bit if even the good stuff is made in Taiwan or similar.

I like fletch tape and havent had any troubles with it AS LONG AS I WIPE THE SHAFT CLEAN FIRST!! i have had some feather come loose on shafts I handled around the nock end and did not wipe with acetone.

if its not tape I like good 'rubberized' (for lack of better word) superglue. stuff like DAP rapidfuse, it has a thick syrup like consistency and has a bit of flex to it. This works much better for me than cheap superglue which is very brittle.

Another good thing about tape is I have better luck getting clean looking feathers and caps with it than I do glue.

Jamesh76

#14 Post by Jamesh76 »

Yeah, I did not clean quill base on these. I actually sanded a few and brushed off before putting the tape on. It's likely my fault the one failed.

Jamesh76

#15 Post by Jamesh76 »

Well, some of the arrows I did held up.good. some not so much. Set with polyurethane sealant were fine/alot better.. Set with tru oil, not so much. I had to place duco under parts that lifted and wouldnt stay down. I assume it is just the finish it dont stick well on. Maybe the feathers I chopped and ground have something to do with it. I have some old bare shafts and miss matched extra feathers. Gonna sell the shaft with as many sealants and cut feathers in half. Using the tape to check how they adhere.

Return to “All about arrows”