Walk a straight line?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Walk a straight line?

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

The Feb/Mar "Traditional Bowhunter Magazine" featured an article by Stephen Graf in which he makes the case for straight fletching...no helical...called "The Case For Straight Fletching". I found it interesting and intriguing.
I grew up following the old-school traditions of 'right handed, left helical/left handed right helical' and found it a bit difficult to accept the more modern theory that it doesn't matter WHICH helical you use (as long as you aren't using single edge broadheads) though I eventually came around. But I've not seen 'no helical' trad arrows with the exception of youth/beginner target arrows or short vane-type wheel bow arrows for decades.
For anyone who had the opportunity to read this, I was wondering your thoughts and viewpoints. Old habits die hard, and while I found the article interesting and thought- provoking, I remain unconvinced.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

Re: Walk a straight line?

#2 Post by Graps »

Ok Kirk, I have experimented with fletching a lot in the mid 70s and my conclusion was, an arrow with a broadhead will shoot more stable with helical fletching.
As far as the R wing L wing goes, the only thing I found that matteres is the cock feather orentation.
Right hand shooter, L wing > cock feather left.
Right hand shooter, R wing >cock feather up.
And obviously the reverse for a Left hand shooter.
And once again, someone is over thinking there archery.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

I need to add that the broadhead experiment showed that if the broadhead was just slightly misaligned, the straight fletch would let the arrow drift off course.
The helical would fly almost straight with just a slight corkscrew flight.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:08 am And once again, someone is over thinking there archery.
I sorta thought the same thing when I read it.
Left/right helical has been the Gold Standard for nearly a hundred years of 'modern' archery. Now someone tells us it is no longer necessary or valid.
Your test data sounds pretty conclusive, Graps.
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

I haven't read the article, but I assume he was talking about feathers and not vanes. I was told years ago, late 80's, that helical was a good thing and have used left ever since. Back in the early 1990's I talked to an old timer, since passed, here in these parts that made custom wood arrows, he told me that even though a feather can be put on with a helical, if it was not, you would still get enough spin out of the natural feather to stablize the arrow. He mentioned 2 factors for real feathers.
1. Right wing, left wing have the helical effect built-in.
2. The smoother side vs the rough side will also cause spin because the rough side will cause more drag.

I will stick with what Dale says! I use two fletch with a helical and probably always will use a left helical.

I have never made any arrows or tired this to prove what the old timer said. I do know he had made thousands of arrows with all types and ways of fletching them. How ever you wanted them.

Was that article mentioning those same factors about natural feathers?
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

stumper

#6 Post by stumper »

Hmm interesting. I shoot right helical for both hands and my arrows fly better than I can shoot. Not sure which is better nor do I bother thinking about most things when it comes to archery, if I can help it. This coming from the guy that doesn't even straighten arrows though. Even with imperfect home made wood arrows I get groups like this 20 yard set on a regular basis and I'm no wonder boy when it comes to shooting. These arrows are over a year old and one of the feathers is missing half its quills on feather. Still shoots pretty well. I try to let archery be as simple as possible.
Attachments
IMG_29042019_173945_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_29042019_173945_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (118.5 KiB) Viewed 371 times
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly »

Everyone should have some fun with their fletching. I remember when I tried 5 1/2 Banana fletching. Huge and noisy. You wanted to stand down range and off to the side just to hear them go by. Before I discovered full size feathers, I would order bananas and chop them.

I think I've probably got some left and right wings laying around. Must have been a sale or something.

Once I tried cutting them tall and a bit shorter - maybe 4 1/2" Looked great but were totally unnecessary. I got that idea from some tall 4" shield cuts that had 4 feathers. Dad had them made in the mid 60's and I always liked them. I think I have one left in a box somewhere. That's probably why I cut some high.

If I wasn't shooting broadheads, I got down to a bit under 4" at normal to low height. They seemed to work just fine. I'm pretty sure I have a straight clamp and I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't fletch with minimal offset.

It's always interesting to take one set of a dozen and fletch 2 or 3 of them differently, and then another 3 or three differently, and so on, so that you can see for yourself. You'll soon find out which you prefer for the set up you're shooting. Make sure some of them are radically shorter and some straight. Try it all and see how little difference most set ups really make.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

I have half a mind to fletch up a half-dozen cedars straight fletch just to see how they stack up. I would need to get a straight clamp for my Bitz, though.
Actually, a totally cool experiment would be 4-fletch/4" straight fletch.
Aim small, miss small!

Jamesh76

#9 Post by Jamesh76 »

I typically shoot rw with a slight offset. I have some autumn orange 1816, I shoot out of 40# bows with straight fletching. I cant shoot good enough to tell any difference. I do think properly spined arrow is more important than fletching orientation. Alot of you have seen some.of the 4x4 straight fletch I shoot. Now I can tell you without a doubt I shoot those better than any 3 fletch orientation I have.

dougedwards

#10 Post by dougedwards »

Jamesh76 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:40 am I typically shoot rw with a slight offset. I have some autumn orange 1816, I shoot out of 40# bows with straight fletching. I cant shoot good enough to tell any difference. I do think properly spined arrow is more important than fletching orientation. Alot of you have seen some.of the 4x4 straight fetch I shoot. Now I can tell you without a doubt I shoot those better than any 3 fletch orientation I have.
What he said.

Doug
"Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another."
Ephesians 4:25

Return to “All about arrows”