Arrows & Tuning

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
biddysere

Arrows & Tuning

#1 Post by biddysere »

Hi, I got a new Old Mountain Mesa bow, Brace at 7 1/2", Rt. Hand, 45# at 28' (same as my draw). I started tuning with 29" 500 carbons w/125 grain tips. EXTREME Nock high & left. Extreme whacking noise and wear on the plates and the outside wood of the arrow shelf. Even cut my bow hand (Left hand) thumb twice from the feathers. Tried bare shafting but it was way off.
So, on to the 600's, same setup: Still a lot of wear on the striker plate and rest but quieter.
Bare shaft: Fishtailing is gone but still impacting nock high. Went up on the nocking point to almost 1" high and still impacting high. The best seems to be around 3/8ths inch high from center. All other movements- I'm amazed the arrow never broke from the impacts! Finally gave up.
So, shot a couple with feathers on and can see them porpoising to the target.
No matter what I do to the nock, I can't get the up & down settled. Any Ideas?

stumper

Re: Arrows & Tuning

#2 Post by stumper »

Few questions to help me see if I can help you out here. What kind of rest are you using? Are you shooting split or three under? What is the brace height range for your bow and how was 7.5 determined to be the best brace height?

Sounds like a brace height issue to me. Left to right worked out and you can get nock right screams brace height to me also with bow noise you were describing. Also if you dont have a little bump in your rest to help arrow clear that could help.

Here is how I would start. Set your bow to lowest recommended brace height. Starting nock depends on your style of shooting. I personally like a tad nock high and most of my bows are 1/2 nock for three under. Probably start 3/8 for split. Leave nock height the same. Do a few shots and twist up brace height 1/4 at a time until noises and nock high seem to be resolved.

You will be surprised at how wonderfully different a bow can shoot at just 1/8 brace height different. I recently tuned my tiger cat to brace at 8 1/8 and I have never shot a sweater bow since readjusting the brace height.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Grizzly

#3 Post by Grizzly »

I'm trying to remember what I heard about arrows striking the shelf. This was used by many years ago, but was still an item of great discussion.

http://www.esbjergarchery.dk/Upload/Fil ... curves.pdf
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Grizzly

#4 Post by Grizzly »

Here is something else to play with. A dynamic arrow spine calculator with more detail than 3 Rivers
http://www.taylortel.net/~rickbarb/dyna ... lator.html
Last edited by Elkman on Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed link to a link
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

Hello Jeff, and welcome to Tradhunter.
Glad to have you here!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Hill billy

#6 Post by Hill billy »

My advice is to try one thing at a time or you will be chasing rabbits forever. I agree with starting with brace hight. And would use a feathered shaft 500 29in 150 up front would have to be close. You can fine tune arrows later. I expect my arrows to bare shaft a little nock high. I nock about half in high for starters. Works out with broadheads for me. A bounce off the shelf can be caused by a high brace hight. Among other things incuding a very under spined arrow. Just my opinion. Good luck would love to hear the end result

Return to “All about arrows”