Arrow fletching, bright or natural camo?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
jaydee2trad

Arrow fletching, bright or natural camo?

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

Part of me loves the natural look of natural feathers, they are just cool looking. But part of me prefers the bright feathers for several reasons. 1, can be easier to follow arrow flight and path. Especially so when hitting a briar or limb that kicks the arrow elsewhere. There ain't nothing like watching a deer run off with just the bright blue feather fletching sticking out its side. and 2, can make arrow retreival easier when the fletching stands out so well. In the fall around here, yellows can be hard to find as are some oranges. But for me, the bright Fluorescent Blue can really stand out. Pink can be nice too and I have done the pink and blue combo. I am all about finding my shot arrows, not rich at all and even re-use the fletchings off of broken arrows. However, if I had a steady supply of feathers from birds that would work, I would use them and just have to search harder for the arrows. The contrast of the bright blue against the dreary late fall or winter background can be unreal.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Arrow fletching, bright or natural camo?

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

I use what is free, Turkey or Goose, friends keep me supplied. My friend uses wraps in bright colors but I like natural.

Jamesh76

#3 Post by Jamesh76 »

I just made up a dozen woodies. 5/16 birch, walnut stain, shellac sealer, black nock, brown barred cock feather and 2 yellow barred. I haven't shot them much but I do like the color pattern. To me, I need a bright nock to see flight well. I may replace the black ones with yellow.

In the past, I have used a lot of bright or natural barred feathers. I sometimes cut small pieces from arrow wraps to add color and I even have some reflective pieces which really glow under a flash light.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

I prefer the bright colors just for the fact I've spent hours searching for lost arrows.
Aim small, miss small!

jaydee2trad

#5 Post by jaydee2trad »

Captainkirk wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:08 am I prefer the bright colors just for the fact I've spent hours searching for lost arrows.
Me too but years ago I got a metal detector to help. this helps very fast with aluminum arrows but also finds field points and broadheads as well which may still be attatched to the arrow. But the bright fletching can sure speed things up if visable.

dhaverstick

#6 Post by dhaverstick »

I want my arrows to practically glow in the dark! It makes them easier to see in flight and much easier to find in the grass and leaves on the rare occasion I miss what I was aiming at. :D

Every time I make my dad arrows he wants black nocks and dark colored fletching. I guess that gives him an incentive to hit his target because he is never getting that arrow back if he misses!

Darren

Return to “All about arrows”