Heavier FOC and stiffer arrows

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
jaydee2trad

Heavier FOC and stiffer arrows

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

First off, As much as I have shot trad bows, FOC was never something that I even thought of or really heard of. I live basically about 100 miles from anywhere. So that meant any archery stores meant driving somewhere off. I still remember when they put the first stop light in our huge town LOL. Anyways, I have a dozen and a half 500 spine carbon arrows and five 600 spine arrows. The 600s shoot so much better than the 500s with my bows (drawing around 42 lbs) I have been determined to shoot a higher FOC and just for giggles, set a 500 spine arrow (full length still) with 225 grains total (insert and point). It actually shot pretty darn good. I knew that a heavier front would soften the spine some and it sure did. now I haven't gone outside to shoot longer yardage because of the water but that is coming. I only draw about 26 1/2" so I will have some overhang from the extra length. Never bothered me when I shot long aluminum arrows because it gave me extra shaft to work with when hitting rocks. I just hate having some perfectly good arrows not being used because of spine. I have considered getting steel broadhead adapters for added weight with broadheads. they would be either 75 grain or 100 gn. probably 75. I can totally see the benefits of a higher FOC for hunting and I have 5 different kinds of 2 blades which I prefer over my 3 blades.

Jamesh76

Re: Heavier FOC and stiffer arrows

#2 Post by Jamesh76 »

I'm not really a fan of high foc. But I mostly shoot wood or aluminum. Carbon is just to picky on spine and when you barely trim anything off. If you want cheap weight buy 243 bullets and glue them behind your insert. 100/$20 or so compared to $1 each on adapters or inserts.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I also shoot 600 spine arrows for the most part, especially at 3D shoots with some long range targets, but I like heavier weights ; higher doc for hunting, I hunt with 500 spine. I have and hunt with too many bows to use the same arrows, but most have 225-300 grain up front. It will surprise you how little difference you can tell at hunting distance.
The new bow I’m working on is around 45# at my 27” draw, the bow I won is 47# @ 28”. It should be around 45# also. I normally use 40-43# so I am not settled on arrows yet. If I ever get a chance I will hopefully find out. Been rushing to finish bow in what little time I have.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

All I shoot these days is woodies.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “All about arrows”