Cutting staves?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Nock

Re: Cutting staves?

#11 Post by Nock »

I’ve got a book from Comstock. I’ll look into that other one you mentioned Dave. I should start on something easier than Osage but where’s the fun in that haha. I’ve also watched several of clay Hayes videos. So I’ve already been looking at potential trees looking at how the bark runs and knots. I’m just ready to get some cut and split. So I can get a start on drying time. My main concern is September/October to early to cut?
Happiness is a tight chain!

stumper

#12 Post by stumper »

Torges talks about the best time to harvest, I'll reference when I get back and let you know. Torges does an accelerated drying method that works well for him. I am not going to lie, Osage is hard but I think its worth it. Yew or lemonwood would be my other recommendations if you did not want to go with Osage.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

stumper

#13 Post by stumper »

I looked and I can't find where he says. He talks more about the particular tree in the chapter. Best book out there for building osage self bows from what I've heard.

Nock

#14 Post by Nock »

EE1B537E-7CCE-4DA3-B2BA-3A6F0BC6B20F.jpeg
EE1B537E-7CCE-4DA3-B2BA-3A6F0BC6B20F.jpeg (214.59 KiB) Viewed 197 times
May have some potential.
Happiness is a tight chain!

stumper

#15 Post by stumper »

Oh what I would do to have a stave of that tree. Still have to finish my current Osage bow. The one I have is A very difficult piece of wood

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#16 Post by Carpdaddy »

That is an excellent looking tree, would make some good bows.

Return to “The Bowyer”