I popped the question/ Pic and review are posted now

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Ole Dave

Re: I popped the question .....

#106 Post by Ole Dave »

Since the BF line is out of the running, you got a recommendation for the Tolke.

I shot Tolke friend had several... then he bought a BF and never looked back.

His Tolke bows were like 9# heavier draw then what I liked... I shot his on a visit to me, oh, 20-30 times.

At one point I hit full draw, held it, looked at the guy/owner of the bow and said you sure this is X# draw???

It never felt like it...

Well, not till the next day! Holy socks, Batman...then I knew it was 9# heavier... whew!

I also knew I needed a special grip and was tired of donating to bowyer's retirement funds, so I opted to go with someone who laid out a believable process to discern my issues that made sense, not just the "sure I can fix that" jibberish, ergo, Kirk AT BF got the nod.

The advice here and on other sites to find some and shoot them all is pretty good advice! Thing is that often a given bow will FEEL slightly different then a later one built for you...I guess due to the live fiber stuff they're made of and shaping each grip by hand.

Why I got 2nd set of limbs and won't part with my BF riser...IT FIts!
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Longtrad

#107 Post by Longtrad »

Does anyone have any experience with Big Jim's longbows?

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#108 Post by Carpdaddy »

Haven't tried any of these high end bows but I'm willing too! Whenever and whatever you order Jason just have it sent to me first for a test drive! :mrgreen: I'd do that for you. :lol: :lol:

Shadowhntr

#109 Post by Shadowhntr »

Hehehehe........HEHEHEHEHE!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Im talking to Dan Toelke tonight/tomorrow about what particular wood choices/pieces we are going to use. After im satisfied with them, IM PUTTING MY ORDER IN!!!!! :D Im gonna be a Whipped archer! :D :D :D Im SO thankful for bonus checks!!!!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#110 Post by Carpdaddy »

Be sure you give him my address for the break in and try out, I wouldn't want you to go through that!

Shadowhntr

#111 Post by Shadowhntr »

Lol! Its going to be a tough wait. First a month or two getting it built, then shipped off from there to Kentucky for trial by carp, for most likely a year or so? Surely in order to really test a bow out takes at least a year right? I dont know how Im ever going to make it 13-14 months before laying my hands on it. Tony dont you DARE put any misses in it, it might get embedded in its limbs. :lol:

Longtrad

#112 Post by Longtrad »

After you get it out of humid kentucky, you will probably want to ship it out to me on the arid plains to dry out, prolly another year or so would do it :)

What woods you thinking about bro?

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#113 Post by Carpdaddy »

Hope to get it during next hunting season so I can train it to miss Deer real good! Then to study it so I can build something close! I may need it longer before Clay dries it out. :lol:
Congratulations anyhow Jason! :mrgreen:

Shadowhntr

#114 Post by Shadowhntr »

Lol! Only makes sense Clay! :D
You're a piece of work Tony! :lol:

You know im still a bit unsettled on woods. It will depend on what he has got. Im thinking curly myrtlewood for vaneers, but it has to be much like a good piece of curly maple being light in color, with good depth and tons of translucent tiger striping.

There really isnt a ton of choices for risers. So many exotic hardwoods resemble each other, there just isnt any sense in choosing some wierd rare wood, to only have it look very reminiscent of a more common and cheaper choice, not to mention the former is likely to turn out a bow with less desirable results upon the shot. I like beautiful grain, and I like contrast. That means I need a darker riser to contrast them light blonde limbs. Koa, Shedua, Pao Ferro, chi chin, are all a touch too much tan and mostly not heavy enough for tiny longbow risers to increase stability. My taste is more with fancy black walnut, rosewood, macassar ebony, or cocobolo. Which ever, but I want it gawdy with delicious character and grain, beyond the norm. If it cost more so be it.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#115 Post by Carpdaddy »

The Rosewood is nice but the grain and color in that Macassar Ebony that Bigfoot posted was over the top! Depends on the lams you choose though.

Return to “The Bowyer”