Started on my first Bow (actually #2)

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Mohawk

Re: Started on my first Bow

#71 Post by Mohawk »

I like that wood combo too, they contrast and compliment each other very well! She'll be a sight finished.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#72 Post by Carpdaddy »

That's an awesome looking riser Kamn, I just can't wrap my mind around you not being experienced at this! The shaping and curves of that riser couldn't be better. I got to get me one of those oscillating thingy's, they must be magic.

Shadowhntr

#73 Post by Shadowhntr »

Looks great Kamn!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#74 Post by Captainkirk »

Looks terrific!
Aim small, miss small!

Kamn

#75 Post by Kamn »

I managed to get a little done in the past week towards the new bow build.
First was cutting out my riser glue up of Cherry sandwiched between 2 outer pieces of Walnut

I think the Cherry and Walnut will be nice when its all shaped out

As you can see below the riser, the new form and jig for the router to cut the shape into the form

The material for the router jig is like 1/4" mdf and gave me a bit of a problem with the router because the bearing on the router bit ended up pushing the mdf in and the router took a big bite out of the end of the form. So to correct this I stopped and grabbed some 1/4" plywood for the "new" jig that the router can follow and cut the rest of the shape out. The end that has the bites from router I will fill with body filler and then file flat and smooth to correct the r.

The bites from the router

The new jig being copied and after I double checked the shape with my paper template

The finished form after the router (note, I have to do a lot of my work on the floor as I currently don't have a bench to use)

And finally, the form with its braces which worked perfect to keep the form straight. The only thing left to do is fix the little router mistakes and glue on the formica strip.

I didn't get much else done because I was also Truck Shopping this weekend and ended up buying this 2003 F250 Diesel 4x4 longbox which I hope will be a good truck to me (wish I could buy a new one but that is just not in my budget)

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#76 Post by Carpdaddy »

Looks great Kamn, been there on the router bite! The picture makes me wonder how high and heavy the whole thing is? Are you putting it into a hot box when glued? My back hurt just thinking about working off the floor like that! I'm past those days.

Kamn

#77 Post by Kamn »

Its not that heavy, the square tubing is all 1/16 wall.....so it doesn't weigh a ton

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#78 Post by Carpdaddy »

Good; looking forward to your build.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#79 Post by Captainkirk »

Here as well. Very intriguing build.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#80 Post by Shadowhntr »

Looking good kamn, I like the truck, should be a good one.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “The Bowyer”