Started on my first Bow (actually #2)

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Kamn

Started on my first Bow (actually #2)

#1 Post by Kamn »

Well I got a chance this past weekend to start on the riser for my first bow build. The riser is from Padauk with a centre core of Curly Maple

Then I spent the day getting the shape and length of the riser and bow drawn out onto a heavy card stock that I use to template pieces when Im building a bike.....really nice stiff stuff. And I will apologize now for the lack of certain pics, I tend to get caught up and forget to shoot some pics at certain times

Then traced out the pattern on the riser block to get it cut out on the band saw and initial shaping on the spindle sander

[/img]http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a57 ... tabl3d.jpg[/img]

This will be a bow for my wife with what I believe will come to be a 30# draw and a bow length of 60". The limbs are black glass and hard maple. I used the Binghams stack chart to figure out the thickness needed for that draw weight........so we will see what it comes out to be in real life

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Started on my first Bow

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Excellent! Looking forward to watching this build progress..
Aim small, miss small!

Kamn

#3 Post by Kamn »

I hope to keep the momentum going and complete it within a few weeks

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Awesome start brother! Im excited!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Atta boy Kamn, can't learn without starting! Looking forward to watching this come together. Have you made a form and hot box? What are you using for your profile pattern? What thickness? Etc... Sorry; I'm excited!

Kamn

#6 Post by Kamn »

I currently have a template made for the form and also have all I need for the oven

Oven needs to be put together

And the form is 1-3/4" x 9" LVL

Hopefully tonight I will get the oven together and then tomorrow get the form cutout and squared up

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

You're a go getter Kamn!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

Good thing is that once you build the hot box you can continue using it for years and bows to come. The form also unless your like me and keep changing profiles.

Kamn

#9 Post by Kamn »

I knew coming into this the oven would be a one time expense but needed for this
The form I will use on the second bow I make, assuming I do a decent job with the first one.

Kamn

#10 Post by Kamn »

Also, I went with an LVL because I don't have the space currently to setup for plywood glue together form, cause Im a little short on flat usable surfaces to do it on......so this was easier for me

Return to “The Bowyer”