Started on my first Bow (actually #2)

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Longtrad

Re: Started on my first Bow

#61 Post by Longtrad »

firehose method always seemed like it would be easier to me, hope your next one comes out solid.

Kamn

#62 Post by Kamn »

The next will be a shooter for sure
This weekend I will be going to hardwood supplier for new riser material

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#63 Post by Captainkirk »

By the time you hit #20 people will be flocking to you for expertise!
Aim small, miss small!

Kamn

#64 Post by Kamn »

I managed to get out for some supplies this weekend and picked up some woods for risers

Left to right = Jatoba, Cherry, Hormigillo, and Walnut

Then I spent a little time on the lathe and turned out some hose plugs.....the larger one will receive a Pressure Gauge and port to fill with air

Also grabbed some 3/4" plywood and 1/4" but it needs to be glued up and didn't have time for that as of yet

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#65 Post by Carpdaddy »

Nice wood. Your off to a good start on a never ending job. This stuff gets in your blood quickly and your hooked for life.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#66 Post by Captainkirk »

Nice to have a lathe at your beck and call...
Aim small, miss small!

Kamn

#67 Post by Kamn »

The lathe has come in handy a few times. I bought it because I figured by the time I paid a machinist for all my adapter plates and bushings for the motorcycle work, I would have paid for it which I have but along the way bought some extra parts and pieces for it which brought the total cost up...........sadly may need to sell it this summer since there will be more important things that will need to be purchased with a cabin build in our future.

Also, here is the hose plug with the air inlet that I am going to change to have better control of pressure......I found a 1/4" NPT schrader valve that I can put a bike pump on or use my compressor

Kamn

#68 Post by Kamn »

Carpdaddy wrote:Nice wood. Your off to a good start on a never ending job. This stuff gets in your blood quickly and your hooked for life.
Perfect! It has been a very satisfying endeavour so far and only wish to go further with it
First I need to get a good shooter built and strung

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#69 Post by Carpdaddy »

In your near future for sure. Each year I seek to try and do better than on my last one. There is always tweaking and thoughts of creating that perfect bow.

Kamn

#70 Post by Kamn »

Well I managed to get some time on practice riser from this bow before I get into the second bow build. Some shaping with the oscillating sander, rasps, and files got me to here

I really liked the 2 woods together, so down the road Im going to make another version of this wood combo.
For all of you experienced guys, If you see anything that you would have done different or tips.....please feel free to pass them on as I will soak it all up

I have more to come soon with another bow since I have been working on a new form and getting things ready to go

Enjoy your Sunday Gents

Return to “The Bowyer”