LIMB TWIST??!! Help,!

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
JBaker01

LIMB TWIST??!! Help,!

#1 Post by JBaker01 »

Ok little bit of panic mode going on - changing strings on my schafer silvertip recurve. Got the string on and made a couple draws and the lower limb I notice the string is not tracking in it's groove???? I put the old string back on and same string would not be in the groove when I let down?????

is this limb twist? if so just send back to Dave and Beth??? hope for a fix?

Kinda close to season? Havent shot my 60#er in a while and need a string for it!

thanks for any info --- feeling bummed,

Shadowhntr

Re: LIMB TWIST??!! Help,!

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

It's limb twist....but don't panic. First call the maker and see what he suggest. If a person knows what they are doing its not a big thing to get it straightened. I'm camping right now and can't get much for service so I'm posting right quick. It will work out dont despair.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Crazynate

#3 Post by Crazynate »

I bought a bow last week with a small twist in the limb. I slowly twisted it very carefully in the opposite direction and it fixed it. I don't know if I'd try it on a real expensive set of limbs but on the older bears I buy it's no biggie to twist them back. You can even apply LOW heat with a blow dryer if you want just be careful.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

JBaker01

#4 Post by JBaker01 »

Thanks Yall! makes me feel a bit better! lol I got a couple just a little over two months before season. If I do need to send it back I'll beg for a quick turn around! LOL

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Minor limb twist is usually a pretty easy fix as the guys mentioned. Whatever you do, don't stand a bow in the corner. Hang it vertical or horizontal, but don't stand it on end.
Aim small, miss small!

JBaker01

#6 Post by JBaker01 »

Thanks yall, a friend laughed at me and showed me how to fix. Between cutting the grass I been slinging arrows and so far it tracks straight and normal. Truly I was stressing as I never run across that before?? dont know why it happened now? I keep my bows laying flt on their side.

I was calculating how much to bribe Dave Windauer for a quick fix before bow season got here - - - so far so good, it was an easy fix and hoping it tracks well through the coming shooting sessions.

Thanks again yall, I am once again breathing.

J

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Yep, caught quickly, a lil twist can be taken right out usually. On top of what's already been said, Make sure to use a good quality bow stringer stringing and unstringing... and it will eliminate much of that.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

That sure can make a fellow nervous, especially on a top shelf bow like that. Glad it worked out for you.

Return to “The Bowyer”