Hunting the Osage Bow build along **Teaching a bow to bend**

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
stumper

Hunting the Osage Bow build along **Teaching a bow to bend**

#1 Post by stumper »

Build along number one was cut short by a cheap piece of Osage. Now it’s time to make another attempt, however, this time we are wiser thanks to Dean Torges. This thread is dedicated to build along number two. The materials have been picked and it’s t-minus two weeks to order day and I could not wait any longer to make the thread.

The wood... I’ll confess that yew really interests me and I desperately want to use yew as it is softer and chasing a ring is not necessary. However, I have not done enough research on the wood, nor do I have a good place to get an already dried piece. So for better or worse, Osage it is and I am getting a premium dried piece from a reputable company. The goal is to make a 45-50 pound bow 62” inches in length (the length is described as the sweet spot by Torges), and I haven’t decided left or right hand, gonna leave that up to the piece of wood, as I shoot with both hands almost everyday. Bow is going to be backed with deer rawhide from Clay Hayes and will if I succeed in getting to the finishing stage have elk horn tips. Any input, advice, criticism, or witicism is welcome. Pictures to come!!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

Re: If at first you don’t succeed

#2 Post by Graps »

Looking forward to some pictures.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

I'm always good for a little witticism, Dave. 8-)
I think you made the right choice. Osage is a proven outstanding performer. Hopefully this new stave won't be so hard to chase a ring on. I think using the rawhide backing will assure you of a good shooter that will last a good long time. There's always room to play with the yew at a later date.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#4 Post by stumper »

Yeah Kirk me too. I mean technically I could have just flattened the back of the last piece and used a backing but it just wasn't a good stave. It also wasn't dried at all when I got it. We are gonna do it right no short cuts this time.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Watching with much interest...
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

Done a lot of research a few years ago about all the crap staves for sell out there....thats the biggest reason I've been deterred from attempting it. I'm pretty much held to the idea of harvesting and drying my own, as taught per the bowyers bible.... and until I'm able to do that I'm just not gonna mess with it. I hope your next staves work out bud. I'll be tuned in.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

Thank you sir. If this company cannot get me a good stave for what I’m paying, I will be doing some asking around to do the harvesting myself. A dream of mine would one day to just sit on my property and carve out selfbows and go on adventures. Yes I want to be clay Hayes.

stumper

#8 Post by stumper »

Here are the tools and rawhide.
Attachments
9EAB2829-5933-436A-9CD8-3C80484947CA.jpeg
9EAB2829-5933-436A-9CD8-3C80484947CA.jpeg (132.6 KiB) Viewed 926 times

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Get the stave yet?
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#10 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:19 am Get the stave yet?
Not yet.

Return to “The Bowyer”