Best TRAD bow?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Longtrad

Re: Best TRAD bow?

#11 Post by Longtrad »

I dont treat my bows fairly at all, especially this hill style bow I have, He is the red headed step child of the lot, constantly stuck with his nose in the corner.

Greg Felty

#12 Post by Greg Felty »

I have two. My Hoyt Sky hawk that is getting to much pull for me and my new to me Blacktail Elite.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Shadowhntr

#13 Post by Shadowhntr »

Longtrad wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:53 pm I dont treat my bows fairly at all, especially this hill style bow I have, He is the red headed step child of the lot, constantly stuck with his nose in the corner.
Lol!!!!....thats how my Maddog, Shakespeare, and Wing are now! I DO like them and won't be parting with any of them though....so I guess maybe their noses aren't in the corner but they are being neglected!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#14 Post by Shadowhntr »

Greg Felty wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:02 am I have two. My Hoyt Sky hawk that is getting to much pull for me and my new to me Blacktail Elite.
Love the looks of them Blacktails...always have.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#15 Post by Captainkirk »

Well, I guess since I started this thing I should weigh in.
I have to say I have insufficient data.
I was hoping to have shot the Elk Seeker and my "new" old Tamerlane, but it's raining ice out there at the moment and the yard is a pig wallow. So final results can't be tallied. But working with what I've got so far...
Yes. My best trad bow is my '69 Bear Tamerlane HC-300. No, it's not a hunting bow. But it is a trad bow, and I am just totally in love with that thing. I have never shot a bow so stable, so smooth, and so darned instinctive.
Aim small, miss small!

gettin closer

#16 Post by gettin closer »

I will have to go with a longbow anyday over a recurve. I do not know what it is but I like the sound, feel and the overall way a longbow shoots over a recurve.

As far as longbows go, after shooting a Poison Dart Bow earlier this year, I now have one on order. It is hard to find a bow that is smooth and low handshock with a 31 3/4" draw. The poison dart that I shot was only 62" long and felt amazing and the dang arrows must have had GPS as they all flew where they were supposed to! It did not stack at all! The bow I have on order is a 2 piece 64" longbow that will be between 50# to 53# at 31" so it would be about 52# to 55# at my draw length.

Of course this is only based on the dozen or so longbows I have shot. A good second is a Bob Sarrels Sierra longbow. It has all of the same qualities but it does not seem to hit as hard. It is very smooth and forgiving though...

Return to “The Bowyer”