First Takedown Recurve

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Elkman
Site Admin

Re: First Takedown Recurve

#11 Post by Elkman »

Great job!
Out of the 3, do you have a favorite?
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Greg Felty

#12 Post by Greg Felty »

The bottom one. The top two were Bingham design. The bottom was copied from a Hoyt Sky Hawk. It is a better shooter,but to much weight for me now.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Shadowhntr

#13 Post by Shadowhntr »

Awesome bows guys!!!!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Elkman
Site Admin

#14 Post by Elkman »

Greg Felty wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:44 pm The bottom was copied from a Hoyt Sky Hawk. It is a better shooter, but to much weight for me now.
Yeah, 64# and I don't work together much anymore. It would be nice if my Dr's could tell me what's wrong with my shoulder. I don't shoot the one in this post anymore. I have been thinking of making lighter limbs for it. I think my longbow shoots better anyway!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Greg Felty

#15 Post by Greg Felty »

I can't shoot any of my home made bows anymore. I am down to shooting 50#.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

I'm pretty much down to 45 and below for regular shooting, Greg. That's one of the reasons I wanted a Tamerlane @ 35#
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

#17 Post by Greg Felty »

During our winter indoor league I shot 40#. Last year I could only shoot 12 arrows at 50# then I had to quit. I am shooting 24 arrows at 50# this year without any problems.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#18 Post by Captainkirk »

One thing that has been mentioned by folks in the medical field on other forums; damage to joints and rotator cuffs can be cumulative over time; i.e. what you are drawing somewhat comfortably today can be doing irreparable damage for tomorrow.
That's why I try to practice light on the draw weight and heavy on the repetitions (number of shots) until I get closer to hunting season, at which time I start ramping it up.
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

#19 Post by Greg Felty »

I need to find a 45# bow. I picked one up off of the Leatherwall that said it was 45 but it was only 40.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

Greg Felty wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:36 am I need to find a 45# bow. I picked one up off of the Leatherwall that said it was 45 but it was only 40.
You think 40 is too light?
It took me a bit you get used to a 35# Tamerlane, but I helped it by going ultralight on the arrows (carbons) and 100gr field points brought the speed and trajectory back to "close enough" to my 45# Grizzly and woodies that it doesn't mess too much with my instinctive shooting. A whole lot easier to shoot for an hour+ as well. There have been evenings when I shot over 125 arrows and never even felt it the next day.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “The Bowyer”