Anyone can build a bow

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Anyone can build a bow

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

I have already shared my woes on another thread so I’ll spare you that. Point is that I need (want) a new bow! Problem is that season is almost here, I need to be preparing for that rather than building another bow. So I gotta vision... The guy I buy my building materials from builds a nice bow, so nice that he sells the plans, and many are building on his design. I have been curious and wanting to try one but the form building is very time consuming. So I am on his sight looking around anyway and spotted something, he now sells bow blanks! That means that he will provide the materials of your choosing, glue the bow up, cut out sight window, tiller limbs, etc... As much as you require. So I got in touch with him, told him to glue me one up using the cheapest stuff he had on hand, and ship it to me straight from the hot box! I will finish it from there. This gives me a head start on the build and lets me try one of his bows without building a form, I love it! Pictures and a build finish to follow when I receive it.

stumper

Re: Anyone can build a bow

#2 Post by stumper »

Whoaaa. What does he charge and where can I find this?
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

His bow blanks are listed on his site along with what he normally does. I got mine straight from the box and if I had only ordered materials it wouldn’t be much different. I don’t care to post his site or even a link if it’s not something against the rules here.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:14 am His bow blanks are listed on his site along with what he normally does. I got mine straight from the box and if I had only ordered materials it wouldn’t be much different. I don’t care to post his site or even a link if it’s not something against the rules here.
He's not a sponsor (but he COULD be...hint, hint!) so I don't think he can post a link but I don't see a problem with you as a customer posting one. I'll check with Larry. Certainly there is no issue as to sending along the link in a PM.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Thanks Kirk, I’d rather not break or even bend any rules, even though this is the most tolerant Trad site there is!

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

Wow Tony, hope you like the finished bow.
Thanks for sharing this.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Elkman
Site Admin

#7 Post by Elkman »

Tony are you talking about Kenny M.?

A quick Google search will bring his sight up for bow building supplies, bow blanks and plans.
I get some of my materials from him as well.

There are actually quit a few places selling bow blanks.

I have been toying with the idea of selling bow blanks also. My first design that didn't make it to a form, yet!. It has less Reflex/Deflex making it a R&D longbow instead of a Hybrid longbow.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

Yep; that’s the guy.

White Falcon

#9 Post by White Falcon »

Wish I was a wood worker! If it were made of metal, I would be in like Flin.

Longtrad

#10 Post by Longtrad »

I have been toying around with that same idea. I’d love to jump into it when I get some free time. I sure look forward to hearing about your expirence with his blanks.

Return to “The Bowyer”