tiller adjustment on a 1 peice bow?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
jd-xlt

tiller adjustment on a 1 peice bow?

#1 Post by jd-xlt »

At Cloverdale last June I bought a 48" Little Bear for the grandkids. Just paid $30 for it because the bottom limb tip was split. My first thought as to cut about 1 1/2" off each end but instead I super glued the split and it seemed fairly solid, then I backed each tip with deer antler and I'm confident enough to let my 8 year old grandson shoot it. I put a new B50 string on it and have been shooting it, limiting the draw to 24". However--the tiller (measuring at the tip of the fades) is 5/8" positive. Seems like a lot for a 48" bow (or any bow). I've taken limb twist out of an ilf limb by heating and over-twisting. Can tiller be adjusted on a one piece bow? I think the kids will be thrilled with it no matter what, but I would like to get it straightened out. I'll try to post pics tomorrow. Any advice would be appreciated.
"Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day,"

Grizzly

Re: tiller adjustment on a 1 peice bow?

#2 Post by Grizzly »

I measured my daughters Little Bear which is the heavier one (my mistake when I bought it on clearance new in the late 70's) 48", 20#@24"

When I eyeballed the fade, I got about 1/2+

When I used a caliper and measured where they began to thicken, I got 3/8"+

There's enough folks here building bows that maybe you'll get the answer your're after. Does it change any with brace height? I wonder if it came that way or if one just weakened over time.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Elkman
Site Admin

#3 Post by Elkman »

jd-xlt wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:02 pm Can tiller be adjusted on a one piece bow?
Hey John,
Yes the tiller can be adjusted, although it would involve sanding on the stronger limb till you get to the desired tiller. You can round over the edges more, trap the sides of the heavier limb or you can carefully sand the back and/or belly reducing the limb thickness just a bit. Making sure you maintain balanced limbs. In either case you will need to re-finish the limb or bow. I'm not sure about applying heat like you describe for limb twist.
Maybe Kenny or Kirk can provide an answer to that if that is what you are referring to.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

What Tom said, little of the sides of the stronger limb, go easy.

kennym

#5 Post by kennym »

I would measure width at fades with calipers and every 6" out to tip. A little will make a diff. I won't apply heat to a bow, am afraid the epoxy will let go. Maybe a warm towel but not sure how much good that does?

As said, you can sand the edges and recheck and go slow for sure. I'm not a big fan of sanding limb faces but if it comes to that, count strokes and go very slow. Keep in mind a light bow could have 030 glass instead of .040 ….

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

:shock: Good luck, I'm too much of a coward to try something like that.
I will rework a grip, but I don't think I would try anything with limbs.
But we all are good at something, I'm not afraid of shaping things to look like something, but if the mechanical aspects of wood and glass come into play, I leave it to the experts.
There, now all of you know one of my weak points.😜
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

jd-xlt

#7 Post by jd-xlt »

The attachment IMG_1824.JPG is no longer available
IMG_1822.JPG
IMG_1822.JPG (28.24 KiB) Viewed 211 times
Yep, they like the bow

I think you can see the tiller difference.
"Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day,"

jd-xlt

#8 Post by jd-xlt »

IMG_1824.JPG
IMG_1824.JPG (37.45 KiB) Viewed 211 times
Raziel, age 8

jd-xlt

#9 Post by jd-xlt »

IMG_1827.JPG
IMG_1827.JPG (39.23 KiB) Viewed 211 times
Ezekiel, age 6

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

That’s a couple fine looking and serious shooters you got there! If the bow shoots halfway decent I would just let the kids enjoy it as it is. If they get hooked on Archery like most of us have then you will have to get them their own new bow anyway. :mrgreen:

Return to “The Bowyer”