Elk Horn Overlays

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
stumper

Elk Horn Overlays

#1 Post by stumper »

I have some pieces of elkhorn that I was thinking about putting on my self-bow. I opened the package from Mike and it seems as though they have holes drilled in them (all the way through). Rookie question here, why are there holes in the pieces and do I work around them, fill them, or file past them?
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Longtrad

Re: Elk Horn Overlays

#2 Post by Longtrad »

wish I could help but Dave but I have no experience with that. how exactly is the hole drilled through it?

I remember reading a post by big Jim that said he soaks his antler in acetone or something like that to draw the oils out of them. I have also read about grinding them down flat, then filling all the pours with glue to get more surface area.

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

Thanks! I’ll take a pick in a bit.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

White Falcon

#4 Post by White Falcon »

No clue here.

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

Hey Dave, I have been waiting to see the pics before I weighed in on this one. I don't have much experience with elk antler tip overlays. I have put them on but they were already prepped to glue on.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Tradman

#6 Post by Tradman »

Should not have holes drilled in it for tips Sand it out would be my guess.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

I don't understand why they would have holes .
Its like knife scales, you would want to put holes where you want them if at all. :?:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

White Falcon

#8 Post by White Falcon »

No help here.

Return to “The Bowyer”