Reducing weight

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Jamesh76

Reducing weight

#1 Post by Jamesh76 »

ok- so my 50# indian recurve. Debating on an attempt to reduce weight. I would like it 42-45#

Have read a little bit on this, a procedure they call trapping..... it appears you can lightly sand the edges of the limbs down from the tips to the taper? 1/32 or 1/16 of an inch is what I have seen. Is this 1/32 of each side? Does the bow need to be tillered again?

not familiar with any of this..... interested though as I really like the grip on this bow and would like it reduced.

Anyone got some feedback or experience with this?

Graps

Re: Reducing weight

#2 Post by Graps »

Go to TG and PM Tipit.
He has reduced several bows. And he would be happy to tell you how to do it.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Jamesh76

#3 Post by Jamesh76 »

I was reading the last one he did with bamboo. I probably should email him.

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Mike did it with my Prairie Predator. He could tell you too.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

Trapping is when you sand the edge of the limbs at an angle on both sides creating a trapezoid shape limb in stead of a basic parallel limb.

You leave the back part of the limb at it's original width and make the belly side 1/32" to 1/16" less on each side.

trapped-limb-shape.jpg
trapped-limb-shape.jpg (10.28 KiB) Viewed 183 times

After sanding there will be a good chance that you will need to re-tiller and balance the limbs.
You may even need to deal with limb twist if the sanding was not done as even as possible.
After trapping you could also affect the torsional stability a little.
Rounding the corners more can remove a little weight, as will making them a little narrower over all from just past the fadeouts to the tip overlays.

You can also remove material off the back face and or the belly face. The problem with this is the thickness of the glass. If the glass is thinner than .040". I would stay away from sanding the faces. Since your are talking about a recurve, there is a good chance the glass is as thin as .030" or less.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Return to “The Bowyer”