Bow building woes

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Bow building woes

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

If you been on this site very long then you know it’s that time of year for me, I normally have already started, or even finished my hunting bow for the Ky Tradfest and next seasons hunting. I guess some have noticed that I have done nothing in the building category in a while. I thought I would take a moment to explain why.
I am suffering from what my Dr says is COPD, X-ray says lungs are expanded, not bothering me much, at least not until I caught this crud again! But anyway; I will not be building any bows anytime soon probably, don’t need the dust, and I need my lungs for more important things.
Guess I’m going to have to save some $$$ and buy one this year, maybe ole Kenny will have something he needs out of his way! Oh well; I am greatful to do what I can, I have been blessed!

Grizzly

Re: Bow building woes

#2 Post by Grizzly »

You have to watch the dust and what kind of dust. My wife's uncle lost about 10 years off his life because of that. First, he farmed and you can imagine the dust there with corn and soy beans and hay. He also worked maintenance for the county and the silica or whatever was in the sand blasting material laid a coating on the inside of the lungs that over the years builds up and eventually cuts back severely on how much air they can handle.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I’m thinking my years in the underground coal mines probably didn’t help. I may just have to try one of those black China bows folks seem to like, they sure have good reviews, and certainly are priced good. But I’ll see if I can work up something with Kenny first, maybe I can do a little myself, I like those good ole boys. But I’m getting the cart before the horse; I better find the cash first.

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

Sure hope you get that under control Tony.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Nomad

#5 Post by Nomad »

Best of luck with it. Hope you are feeling better.

Longtrad

#6 Post by Longtrad »

Hope you get to feeling 100% sooner than later.

I have had an itch to try a kennyM bow blank myself, probably a 58 incher. I have been thinking a zebra wood/bocote combo would be slick, maybe even put bocote veneers on the back and z wood on the belly!

but I have been wondering if there would be any issue with the dark bocote saw dust getting stuck in the light colored, porous zebra wood.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

Bow on right in each picture is Bocote and Zebrawood, even at end of limbs, riser Zebrawood.
Attachments
FE30FFB6-E0AD-4EE8-B212-FC62EA52ED4B.jpeg
FE30FFB6-E0AD-4EE8-B212-FC62EA52ED4B.jpeg (193.66 KiB) Viewed 191 times
22DBAF90-2157-48A3-938B-8D077D23539A.jpeg
22DBAF90-2157-48A3-938B-8D077D23539A.jpeg (243.88 KiB) Viewed 191 times

Graps

#8 Post by Graps »

Them sure are perdy
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

White Falcon

#9 Post by White Falcon »

Beautiful work!

Grizzly

#10 Post by Grizzly »

It's hard not to like zebra wood limbs, and bacote would just dress it up.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “The Bowyer”