40# Black Hunter Refinish

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Jamesh76

Re: 40# Black Hunter Refinish

#21 Post by Jamesh76 »

Yeah,the green color is starting to grow on me. With a wood arrow it just appears more natural. I m going to have to make up some for the 50# black hunter recurve I got coming. I have a bunch of gray feathers. I do like the end of the shaft being natural. It sure is easier than a cap dip or spray on. I like how it faded into the wood where it was taped off. I didnt even crest it. I have some gray stain, I may do the same with the arrows for my 50# bow. Gray shaft, natural cap, gray feathers and red nock. Maybe flo green. I think I have about 3 dozen of the 5/16 which spines 50+. Gonna weight match a few and see what I can come up with. I have come to learn with the 5/16 shafts it appears with my 27" draw and a 29 or 29 1/2" arrow tune is pretty good with arrows at bow weight or a few pounds heavier in spine. I do shoot dacron typically though with them and 100 grain points. Heavier point and fast flight I would likely shoot stiffer arrows.

Jamesh76

#22 Post by Jamesh76 »

Just checked to see if bow was dry. Just a bit tacky..... will wait another day or 2.

Greg Felty

#23 Post by Greg Felty »

I hope it works out that brown looks nice.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Graps

#24 Post by Graps »

I'm looking forward to seeing the results.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#25 Post by Carpdaddy »

Looks really good, hope it dries well also, looking forward to it’s completion.

Elkman
Site Admin

#26 Post by Elkman »

I use Minwax all the time on my Cabinet projects. I use basic stain application procedures.
I wipe or brush it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe all the excess back off. It usually dries in 8 to 10 hours depending on humidity and temperature. After dried I use the Minwax polyurethane or Lacquer.
If you want a darker stain you can reapply the stain after the first coat has dried.
If that riser is made from the old Dymondwood or the new Dymalux it will not soak in. If it is the old Stratabond or new Sectraply it should work for you. Just make sure you wipe off all the excess.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Grizzly

#27 Post by Grizzly »

Here's hoping for a good report after another day of drying.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#28 Post by Captainkirk »

So far, so good!
Aim small, miss small!

Jamesh76

#29 Post by Jamesh76 »

Elkman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:54 am I use Minwax all the time on my Cabinet projects. I use basic stain application procedures.
I wipe or brush it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe all the excess back off. It usually dries in 8 to 10 hours depending on humidity and temperature. After dried I use the Minwax polyurethane or Lacquer.
If you want a darker stain you can reapply the stain after the first coat has dried.
If that riser is made from the old Dymondwood or the new Dymalux it will not soak in. If it is the old Stratabond or new Sectraply it should work for you. Just make sure you wipe off all the excess.
I dont think it soaked in. Hoping if not, I can just seal o er it to keep color. My not work out though and I'll resand it and seal to original.

Grizzly

#30 Post by Grizzly »

What am I trying to think of that they use on the really dense hardwoods for color?
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “The Bowyer”