Took a chance

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
stumper

Re: Took a chance

#41 Post by stumper »

Second coat of oil dry. Think I'm going to stop here for now because it really still shows the depth and character of the grain without covering it up like varnish. The great thing about teak oil is that you can always apply more as it wears you can just apply another coat at another time really the sky's the limit. So I put the barge cement on and attempted to string the bow. However the bottom Loop slipped off and the lamb hit me in the face and the bow clattered on the tile. Not sure if I damage the bow nor would I be able to tell with the camo limbs but the Riser remained in my hand the whole time so the bow didn't fall in the ground completely. The Upper Limb did smack me in the ear which hurt. Went ahead and restrung it up brought it the full draw a few times everything seems perfectly okay got to wait till tomorrow to take a test shot. For now I'll leave it strung overnight. Here she is after the incident.
Attachments
IMG_17042019_215645_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_17042019_215645_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (53.85 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
IMG_17042019_215652_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_17042019_215652_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (49.55 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
IMG_17042019_215626_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_17042019_215626_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (49.18 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
IMG_17042019_215635_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_17042019_215635_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (43.64 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#42 Post by Graps »

OUCH!!! :o
I have done about the same thing before, it scares you more than hurts.
That sure looks good. ;)
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Elkman
Site Admin

#43 Post by Elkman »

Looks very good Dave!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#44 Post by Carpdaddy »

Looks good, I like the camo limbs with the wood riser, fine looking set up.

White Falcon

#45 Post by White Falcon »

Love the finish.

Grizzly

#46 Post by Grizzly »

That wood will surely warm your heart in a cold tree stand this fall. Looks good.

I always gasp a bit and hold my breath when I realize a string isn't hooking up just right. Glad it didn't hurt you or the bow.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#47 Post by stumper »

I agree grizzly. I already hunted with this bow a lot. Now that I like the way it works I feel bad for the other bows. Yes hours of tracing the wood grain in the woods sounds like a winner. Something captivating about wood.

Jamesh76

#48 Post by Jamesh76 »

Riser, looks excellent, great job on the refinish. As for the camo limbs with the natural riser. I must be the odd man here. Its just not for me., not a fan.

Graps

#49 Post by Graps »

I do wonder what those limbs look like?
This reminds me of a time years ago we had a very large living room and the carpet needed replaced.
I took all the furniture out and proceeded to remove the old carpet.
Then I removed the padding :shock:
The most beautiful Red Oak floor I had ever seen. ;)
Like that ol grandpappy said " you don't know what's in the pickle barrel till you get the lid offen it"
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#50 Post by stumper »

I'm all for redoing the limbs which I would like even better I'm sure. I took a chance on the camo bow when the bow Jose was building for me broke and he was already thinking of getting out of the business, and he cut me a deal that I couldn't say no to. The camo which I was intreged by, I quickly found out wasn't for me and I almost sent the bow back. But it shot too darn good.

I just have some minor issues to work out. Supposedly Jose says there streaks in the limbs because he got a bad batch of glass, which is why it was dipped in the first place. My recurve from him also had streaks in the glass which is why I got it so darn cheap and it doesn't bother me one bit, the recurve is one of my favorite bows and has ruined all other recurves for me. Streaks don't bother me so I'm all for it my only thing is if you sandpaper I'm nervous will I affect the tiller of probably my favorite bow? If I use a chemical stripper will I affect the Integrity of the glue?

If I remember correctly and I did get a sneak peek of the limbs when I removed one of the limb bolts because it was dipped with the limb bolts connected the limbs are bocote so the entire bow is bocote.

For now until I figure all this out the riser alone is a major improvement and the camo limbs with natural riser kind of look cool to me.

Return to “The Bowyer”