Took a chance

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
stumper

Re: Took a chance

#21 Post by stumper »

Just look at the difference of Sheen between the 320 and 800.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Grizzly

#22 Post by Grizzly »

Wow. Did you ever get blessed with a beautiful piece of handcrafted wood. It's a beauty.

I know very little about finishing wood. I'll use whatever is around. I remember using Tru oil on a stock once and my local gunsmith/gunmaker told me he used his own concoction, which I'm sure many do. Somehow I came across a can of Teak oil finish once. Again, since it's handy, I usually apply it to kitchen knife handles I might stain and refinish. I'm sure you've already researched how to finish this bocote riser but I thought I'd just throw this out. I've no doubt 7 coats of wax is going to make us all drool with envy.

Listed under pros and cons was, it provides a UV protection, but in time they described a sort of silvery appearance.
https://www.rockler.com/teak-oil
This is the recommended oil finish for oily woods such as Teak, Rosewood, Zebrawood, Monkeypod and many others. Unlike linseed oil and most other oil finishes, which become tacky when exposed to heat, Teak Oil penetrates the wood, dries hard and stays hard. May be applied over raw, stained, newly stripped or previously oiled wood surfaces. Use a stiff brush, clean rag or fine, nylon mesh pad and uniformly "flood" the entire surface. Wait 5-10 minutes. If dry spots occur, reapply to achieve uniform wetness. After 30 minutes set time, wipe and lightly buff with a clean cloth. After 24 hours lightly buff with a clean cloth, then buff with extra-fine steel wool to achieve a uniform sheen.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#23 Post by stumper »

Interesting grizzly. Very interesting. I love oil finishes and love hand rubbed goodness. So interesting in the literal 5 hours of internet research I did teak oil never once came up. So far it seems like a good option and so it is in the running. Pictures to come.

Nock

#24 Post by Nock »

Man that looks good. Your a brave man. I probably would’ve never done it. Turned out great.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#25 Post by Carpdaddy »

Beautiful outcome, I agree with Nock and probably would have never known, but I liked the camo. Got to agree that this adventure paid off.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#26 Post by Captainkirk »

Looks gorgeous!
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#27 Post by Longtrad »

wow that is cool, I think that is my favorite of your bows so far.

stumper

#28 Post by stumper »

Longtrad wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:00 pm wow that is cool, I think that is my favorite of your bows so far.
Ya know. Mine too. I just picked up some teak oil and am gonna give it a shot.

stumper

#29 Post by stumper »

First coat drying. Big thanks to grizzly for the suggestion. Very hopeful. Probably do three coats.
Attachments
IMG_14042019_193712_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_14042019_193712_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (54.61 KiB) Viewed 383 times
IMG_14042019_193717_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_14042019_193717_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (51.27 KiB) Viewed 383 times

Grizzly

#30 Post by Grizzly »

oooh! That is really nice. Better than nice. Wow!!!
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “The Bowyer”