The Birth of a bow - A short Elk Seeker

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Elkman
Site Admin

The Birth of a bow - A short Elk Seeker

#1 Post by Elkman »

Back in late 2013, 2 or 3 months after making the first Elk Seeker Longbow, now owned by Captainkirk, I drew out what was going to be my next longbow design. I had been asked if I made a longbow with a more forward handle. I didn't, so I designed this and it has sat ever since. At the time I was in the starting stages of making the Centaur Archery ILF limbs for Jim Neaves and gluing up misc bow blanks for him as well.
I never heard back from the guy asking about the forward handle longbow so it was pushed aside and ended up behind some lumber for a small cabinet job that came along during that time.
1116131914.jpg
1116131914.jpg (59.86 KiB) Viewed 505 times
1116131915.jpg
1116131915.jpg (67.1 KiB) Viewed 505 times
1116131912a.jpg
1116131912a.jpg (73.02 KiB) Viewed 505 times
btm-orig-mid-forward-measure.jpeg
btm-orig-mid-forward-measure.jpeg (75.74 KiB) Viewed 505 times
btm-orig-mid-forward-template.jpeg
btm-orig-mid-forward-template.jpeg (71.61 KiB) Viewed 505 times
original-mid-forward-template.jpeg
original-mid-forward-template.jpeg (69.95 KiB) Viewed 505 times
original-mid-forward-riser.jpeg
original-mid-forward-riser.jpeg (65.06 KiB) Viewed 505 times
btm-limb-mid-forward-riser.jpeg
btm-limb-mid-forward-riser.jpeg (105.7 KiB) Viewed 505 times
top-mid-forward-long-forum.jpeg
top-mid-forward-long-forum.jpeg (102.27 KiB) Viewed 505 times

So here it is 5 years later and a couple months ago I decided to make a form for shorter bows in the 58 to 60 inch range. I dug out the handle drawings for the longer forward handle longbow that has been sitting here collecting dust so I could use it for the mid sized bow. I got that bow designed drawn out to the same stage as the longer one and decided to get another one started for a short longbow. It will be for bows 52 inch to 54 inch. Maybe even 56 inch. We'll see?
58-inch-drawing-btm-01.jpeg
58-inch-drawing-btm-01.jpeg (64.81 KiB) Viewed 505 times
58-inch-drawing-top-01.jpeg
58-inch-drawing-top-01.jpeg (59.91 KiB) Viewed 505 times
58inch-form-drawing-original-01.jpeg
58inch-form-drawing-original-01.jpeg (63.38 KiB) Viewed 505 times
This will be a form build along of the short mid forward handle longbow.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Graps

Re: The Birth of a bow - A short Elk Seeker

#2 Post by Graps »

Sweet.
Looking forward to this build with special interest. :P
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Wait...you're telling me my Elk Seeker is #1?!!! That makes it all the more special!

And I am watching this with keen interest. I have a soft spot for short bows.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

Cool! I didn't know you were the one building his some of the ilf limbs. It is a small world after all.

I haven't had the pleasure of testing and elk seeker but the centar longbow is on my short list... wonderful bow!!

im guessing your bows are top notch as well.

Soooo getting down to brass tacks at the bowyers bench.. what does a forward handle design offer to the shooter over a more conventional handle?

Jamesh76

#5 Post by Jamesh76 »

:o

White Falcon

#6 Post by White Falcon »

Wish I had that talent.

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

Wow Tom. Just wow. My next bow is set to be a shorty. Guess now that you are doing a short elk seeker I need not debate where it will come from. Should be looking round the end of this year. Might even sell a few things off to make it happen sooner.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Elkman
Site Admin

#8 Post by Elkman »

Longtrad wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:08 pm Soooo getting down to brass tacks at the bowyers bench.. what does a forward handle design offer to the shooter over a more conventional handle?
By conventional do you mean old English style and Howard Hill style longbows?

Based on my research, depending on design a more forward (deflexed) handle can be more stable and smooth to draw, especially on shorter bows. It also puts the arrow more directly over your hand while shooting, potentially helping with accuracy. Some have gained a little more speed as well.

My original Elk Seeker longbow is very smooth, the main reason I am trying a more forward handle is to keep it smooth drawing at the shorter bow length.
Longtrad wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:08 pm Cool! I didn't know you were the one building his some of the ilf limbs. It is a small world after all.
Yes, there are only about 100 sets of Centaur ILF Limbs out there and I made every set. I will soon be making a form for my own version based on what I learned, liked and disliked while making the Centaur limbs.
Longtrad wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:08 pm I haven't had the pleasure of testing and elk seeker but the centar longbow is on my short list... wonderful bow!!

im guessing your bows are top notch as well.
I am trying that's for sure. Jim makes some great bows.
He saw my very first bow made years ago and decided to approach me about the ILF limbs and bow blanks that I made for him. I can only hope to build a reputation for bows that Jim and others have.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

Clay, I have had the privilege to do a critique of one of Tom's bows.
His Elkseaker bows are top of the line, second to none.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#10 Post by stumper »

Clay I also had the privilege of doing a critique and my assessment is the same as Dale's. Second to none.

I think our critiques should be on a thread in the product review section.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “The Bowyer”