The Birth of a bow - A short Elk Seeker

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
stumper

Re: The Birth of a bow - A short Elk Seeker

#41 Post by stumper »

Looks really good.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#42 Post by Graps »

Looking good.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#43 Post by Captainkirk »

I am SO digging this!
Aim small, miss small!

Nock

#44 Post by Nock »

Oh yeah. I like!!
Happiness is a tight chain!

stumper

#45 Post by stumper »

I'm honestly dying with anticipation to meet my new bow.....
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Grizzly

#46 Post by Grizzly »

I've been trying to play catch up in this project and there is a lot of reading after you follow all the links and reviews. Been enjoying it so far.

Am curious though about a longbow at 52", even with alot of deflex for the riser. This has been done with recurves. I made the mistake in 1969 of buying one of Ben Pearson's 52" w/good deflex but it stacked between 28 and 29". Others love the one Fred Bear put out. I had a shooting session with one of those green k mags in the mid 90's but honestly can't remember what my conclusion was of the comparison to my old BP. I'm thinking it was a bit more pleasurable. So in my mind it's a bit risky simply because the BP never lived up to my expectations- which was my own fault, casuse it was on sale and I had to drive a bit to get it. The owner tried his best in the now extinct archery shop (candy store of that era) to try to sell me up. Oh how I wish I'd listened to his advice - I had the money then.

Now 54 or even 56 may change things I would think. I'm also pretty sure a short draw shooter would like these 52" bows much more than a 28 to 29" shooter due simply to finger pinch.

Of course I'm with everyone else here hoping it turns out to be a smooth shooting winner.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Elkman
Site Admin

#47 Post by Elkman »

So far I am happy with the first test bow off this new short form. I have more testing to do and plenty to do on the test bow to finish it completely. I have made the limbs a bit narrower and it has been strung up since my last post, about 5 days, and is still holding together ✊
Today I am going to work on getting it to the point where I can shoot it and get some weight measurements at different draw lengths. If my shoulder holds up I may be able to figure out a brace height.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

White Falcon

#48 Post by White Falcon »

Great job!

Graps

#49 Post by Graps »

:P Excited. :D
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Elkman
Site Admin

#50 Post by Elkman »

In the words of Doug Marcaida from Forged in Fire,

IT WILL KILL!
It is pretty quick also.

shooting-1st-short-test-bow.jpeg
shooting-1st-short-test-bow.jpeg (156.08 KiB) Viewed 89 times

I draw about 28"
full-draw-profile-rt-28-inch-draw.jpeg
full-draw-profile-rt-28-inch-draw.jpeg (128.44 KiB) Viewed 89 times