First Pyramid Bow

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Greg Felty

Re: First Pyramid Bow

#11 Post by Greg Felty »

Jon McGinnis wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:33 pm CRAP! I'm such an idiot. Just made my 68-inch bow a 61.5-inch bow. Got too impatient and tried to take too much off. Ripped a chunk out of the tip when I was tillering. The bow's going to be salvageable...but not what I wanted. Lesson learned. Going to try and finish it up early next week. Pictures coming soon.
Sorry to hear that. A short bow is better than none. What were you using to tiller the bow?
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Jon McGinnis

#12 Post by Jon McGinnis »

I was using a cabinet scraper but realized I needed to remove about 1/8-1/4 inch, so I used a drawknife (the backside of it), BUT then I got impatient and used the edge and dug it in. Lesson learned.
1 John 4:14 "And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world"

Greg Felty

#13 Post by Greg Felty »

Jon McGinnis wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:29 pm I was using a cabinet scraper but realized I needed to remove about 1/8-1/4 inch, so I used a drawknife (the backside of it), BUT then I got impatient and used the edge and dug it in. Lesson learned.
James told me about a shinto rasp. I got one and it works great. Jerry got one also and loves his.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Jamesh76

#14 Post by Jamesh76 »

Yeah, gotta be careful with draw knives. I have done it more than once. I usually use farriers rasps or shinto now days. Whats your draw? May need to make it into a bendy handle.

Jon McGinnis

#15 Post by Jon McGinnis »

My draw is a 28, but it was going to be for my kids anyway. I'll probably make it a 26-inch draw.
1 John 4:14 "And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world"

jaydee2trad

#16 Post by jaydee2trad »

patience, it only takes but one moment where we get in too big of a hurry. So I have forced myself to slow down and only do so much at a time. do love the shinto as said. it is nice to still be able to salvage a bow. I saved a broken bow to use the one good limb towards a takedown bow. just have to make another limb or salvage another broken bow.

Jon McGinnis

#17 Post by Jon McGinnis »

IMG_0798.JPG
IMG_0798.JPG (117.36 KiB) Viewed 241 times
IMG_0794.JPG
IMG_0794.JPG (210.84 KiB) Viewed 241 times
IMG_0796.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG (152.86 KiB) Viewed 241 times
IMG_0797.JPG
IMG_0797.JPG (130.79 KiB) Viewed 241 times
Finished my 61-inch Maple Pyramid Bow.
42# @28in
(For my son it's 35.5# @ 26 in)

Lessons learned on this bow:
1. Take my time. This was going to be a 68-inch bow.
2. First time using rawhide. Love it! This is by far my fastest/lightest bow
3. Not crazy about a 10-inch handle. I'll make the rest 8 inches.
4. This was my first time heat treating a belly. It raised my poundage about 7 pounds.

All-in-all, I learned a lot. Not the prettiest bow...but shoots well.

Greg Felty

#18 Post by Greg Felty »

Looks good Jon. Did you heat treat before or after you installed the rawhide?

Jon McGinnis

#19 Post by Jon McGinnis »

After the rawhide.

Greg Felty

#20 Post by Greg Felty »

Jon McGinnis wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:13 pm After the rawhide.
Any problems with the glue on the rawhide after heating?

Return to “The Bowyer”