Finished up my part of the deal

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Jamesh76

Finished up my part of the deal

#1 Post by Jamesh76 »

I have a friend who lives about 3 hours away. When I first started building bows over a year ago, I gave him a call. He was working at a meat locker processing beef. I requested he send me some beef tendons so I could have sinew on hand. He sent me quite a bit. In return, I told him I would build him a bow when I felt my skill set was ready and my staves were dry. He had a special interest in Osage. Well, he stopped by yesterday afternoon and shot 7 bows I had on hand I would have parted with. It was good for me to step off to the side and see my tiller and how they performed. He doesn't have much experience with traditional bows. I learned, the bendy handle Hickory piece I built a while back had 1 spot in the bottom limb where it bent a bit more than I would like, I wouldn't call this spot a hinge, but you could see it was slightly weak at full draw about 15" in from the tip. Probably not enough to worry about but definitely not a bow I would give to some one. He shot and shot and shot. It was great seeing their performance since 5 or 6 of them I had not shot due to my elbows hurting. He finally settled on the 45# Osage bow with the pretty tips. I then asked him what his 2nd bow would of been, he said the 40# Maple board with walnut handle and tips. I had him keep them both, gave him a dozen shafts and some nocks. It felt good to settle up on our agreement. I learned a lot watching my bows tiller, sound and getting a opinion on each one.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Finished up my part of the deal

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Awesome James! But you probably caused another one to be addicted!

Jamesh76

#3 Post by Jamesh76 »

I hope so anyways.

Greg Felty

#4 Post by Greg Felty »

Have you backed any of your bows with sinew?
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

jaydee2trad

#5 Post by jaydee2trad »

you are a good friend indeed my friend. it is an awesome feeling to make something and have someone appreciate it like that. He won't ever forget it either. Had to be cool watching someone shoot them and love it. I know that it was for me. It was great to be able to watch from the side like that too.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Nicely done, James! Hats off to you!
Aim small, miss small!

Jamesh76

#7 Post by Jamesh76 »

Greg Felty wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:42 pm Have you backed any of your bows with sinew?
I never have needed it yet. The only boards I buy any more are straight grained. I haven't found a need for it on a stave bow yet as I tend to keep them long or within reasonable dimensions.

I made this deal with him before I even made my first bow. At the time, all I seen was sinew back, sinew back etc. Really, I believe sinew is best for the real short bows for adding reflex etc. From what I have seen the most, its ugly as sin. I will probably never back one with sinew. I am more likely to use sinew as a patch or questionable spot wrapping a limb, making arrows etc.

Rawhide has a better appearance in my opinion.

Elkman
Site Admin

#8 Post by Elkman »

Very nice James. I'm sure he'll enjoy them.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Return to “The Bowyer”