Southeast Texas - The search for Osage orange

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
putnamm

Southeast Texas - The search for Osage orange

#1 Post by putnamm »

I live outside of Houston, Texas. I am new to bowmaking, but I have been woodworking for years. Much of the woodworking I have done has been with "found" or naturally occurring materials like trees that are downed in a storm or that tree crews take down in the neighborhood. Seeking and obtaining wood hasn't been an issue for me.

Bowmaking is a new activity for me, though I've done plenty of research. I actually became interested when a friend gave me a nearly complete hickory selfbow and a hickory stave. But ever since I got the idea, I've been kind of obsessed with finding Osage orange. By a stroke of luck I came by one Osage "log" recently (that is really more like a sapling). Otherwise...it is nearly impossible to find down here. I have reached out to farm and ranch groups to ask if anyone has the wood on their land and would allow me to come harvest it. I have contacted local parks and wildlife professionals, tree crews, and more. I even found one person in north Texas who grows Osage orange intentionally to harvest the "apples" for alternative energy purposes... (After a five-hour drive to his place it ended up being a waste of time...)

I'm just wondering if there are any bowyers in this part of the world who have experience with locating and harvesting Osage orange? As mentioned, I don't mind driving a bit--provided there is actually a usable stave at the end of the trip!

(Alternatively, the financial math of my quest is not lost on me... I can buy an Osage stave off the Internet. It is certainly possible that between the cost of my time, gas, etc. I could spend more than that cost by seeking naturally occurring Osage. But if possible I would love the experience of finding and harvesting my own wood.)

fdp

Re: Southeast Texas - The search for Osage orange

#2 Post by fdp »

It's going to be pretty tough to find somebody that will let you get on their place and cut any. Burleson, Brazos, and Lee counties in particular still have quite a lot in the creek and river bottoms, but, most of the ranchers aren't too eager to let someone cut the stuff.

You may want to try going to Caldwell, Lexington, Milano, somewhere like that and going to the livestock auction and see if you can get in touch with someone that might let you cut some.

Return to “The Bowyer”