Osage v Hackberry

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Jamesh76

Osage v Hackberry

#1 Post by Jamesh76 »

It's common to hear how hard Osage is. Hard to cut, can't drive staples into it for fence posts etc. I tell ya, I was cutting some Osage today on my band saw, cut pretty good. Then I was working on a piece of Hackberry..... talk about a head ache it takes so long to cut. Across the grain is fine. With the grain, it took me 15 minutes to cut the width on 1 side of a stave. Very slow going. I'm not sure if its faster with a draw knife or not. I wasn't moving very fast with that method either. I have heard the grain is woven on hackberry. Idk I love it as a bow wood but it's sure difficult to work down.

jaydee2trad

Re: Osage v Hackberry

#2 Post by jaydee2trad »

time and more experience will tell you even more. does it have a long seasoning period too?

Jamesh76

Re: Osage v Hackberry

#3 Post by Jamesh76 »

I'm not sure, just grabbed a piece and rough out. I hold it a couple inches off the concrete and drop, listen to the sound usually. Haven't had much success with the prong moisture meters. Weighing themselves a pain also. The sound when dropped or tapped on concrete and feel when thinning with a draw knife will usually tell me. I typically rough to.bow dimensions and floor tiller then sit them on my rack a couple months.

Return to “The Bowyer”