Short riser on a longbow

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Short riser on a longbow

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

I currently build a one piece reflex/deflex longbow that is 62" total length, 60" NTN. I was thinking about going even shorter for use in my ground blind, maybe 1" off each end. And yea; not just for the blind but just cuz I want to do something different (for me that is). I already did this once as I formerly built it 64" total length, I had to make it a little thinner to compensate. I start the limb taper about an inch past the riser fades and usually end up sanding back onto the riser fades, and down to 5/8" tips. I currently use a 14" riser and was considering dropping it to 12". My question is this; if I drop the riser length by 2" along with the total length; will I need to go thinner, thicker, or keep my lams the same? Or do you feel that I would be better off leaving the riser length the same and dropping lam thickness resulting in less working limb? What are your experiences with shorter risers?

Elkman
Site Admin

Re: Short riser on a longbow

#2 Post by Elkman »

Tony,

Did you ever find out more about your question in this post? Maybe through trial and error you have figured it out yourself.
I have never been less than 16" riser myself. I have done 66" down to 62" off of my form and haven’t noticed any significant differences. I adjust the core thickness if I want 45 lbs at each length. I assume other Bowyers do the same. I know for a fact that is what Centaur does.
I know that doesn't answer your question. After reading it I am now wondering the same thing. I am planning on making a shorter form for bows 62" down to say 58", but was looking at keeping the riser at 16". Maybe a 14" would work better? That's what research and development is all about. I have glued up close to 200 bows for Jim at Centaur. His riser is always 16". His form is made for a 16" riser. His bows are 56" to 62" off that one form.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

Very interesting.....I would have figured that a shorter riser with longer working limbs would be a more smooth shooting bow....but what do I know, I've never built a bow!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#4 Post by stumper »

Shadowhntr wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:28 pm Very interesting.....I would have figured that a shorter riser with longer working limbs would be a more smooth shooting bow....but what do I know, I've never built a bow!
My cardiac arrest has a custom 2" shorter riser (overall length 66" with limbs build for his 68" model and it is the best longbow I've shot.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

Shadowhntr wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:28 pm Very interesting.....I would have figured that a shorter riser with longer working limbs would be a more smooth shooting bow....but what do I know, I've never built a bow!
You're right and I agree, and was not suggesting otherwise.

Elkman wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:50 am I am planning on making a shorter form for bows 62" down to say 58", but was looking at keeping the riser at 16". Maybe a 14" would work better? That's what research and development is all about.
I am asking the same question basically as Tony.
When I said Maybe a 14" riser would work better, I was referring to my new short form that I was planning on using a 16" riser for, not Tony's question.

Jim has one form designed to take a 16" riser. He makes 4 sizes. He also has one of the smoothest, fastest longbows out there. As bowyers we strive to have the best of both worlds. Smooth and fast.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

I actually did build the bow using a 12” riser. My memory now just won’t let me recall how much if any I dropped or added to/from limb thickness. I did the build here on this site step by step, Unfortunately the Bucket problem took away most of not all the pictures. The bow shot great back then and is still in regular use by a friend who loves it. I’m digging up a few pictures of it now...
Attachments
photo jul 12, 1 50 53 pm.jpg
photo jul 12, 1 50 53 pm.jpg (74.95 KiB) Viewed 360 times
photo jul 12, 1 51 49 pm.jpg
photo jul 12, 1 51 49 pm.jpg (83.66 KiB) Viewed 360 times
photo jul 12, 1 50 50 pm.jpg
photo jul 12, 1 50 50 pm.jpg (66.07 KiB) Viewed 360 times

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

Love that bow.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Elkman
Site Admin

#8 Post by Elkman »

What length is the bow Tony?

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

Right now I can’t remember the length Tom, getting too old! I built 4-5 of those off that form, a couple were 58” and the others 60” NTN. The Hornfrog I did the giveaway on last Christmas was one of them. Here is one I did for my hunting buddy Mark, it is a 58”. I remember that one because I wondered how it would do with his long arms and draw length. It’s still working for him, I got a full draw pick of him shooting it.
Attachments
photo jul 12, 1 26 37 pm.jpg
photo jul 12, 1 26 37 pm.jpg (99.81 KiB) Viewed 348 times
photo jul 12, 1 25 36 pm.jpg
photo jul 12, 1 25 36 pm.jpg (135.94 KiB) Viewed 348 times
photo jul 12, 1 25 28 pm.jpg
photo jul 12, 1 25 28 pm.jpg (164.81 KiB) Viewed 348 times

Elkman
Site Admin

#10 Post by Elkman »

Awesome job! It looks like the one for your hunting buddy at full draw is loading up pretty good.

I am assuming you kept the same design and only made the riser shorter.

So what do you think it would have been like if you would have used the 14" riser for your buddy?
Would it still be as smooth?
Would the bow stack more?
Would it give him a little more speed?
Do you think it might fail over time?

With you shooting it, how did it compare to your 14" riser? Most likely it was a bit smoother to draw. I am also thinking you might have lost a slight bit of speed. Not sure.

Return to “The Bowyer”