Washington State Roosevelt Elk Hunt

Traditional archery events, club announcements, 3D shoots.
Forum rules
Post all club events or traditional archery related gatherings.
Stiknstring

Washington State Roosevelt Elk Hunt

#1 Post by Stiknstring »

Anybody want to hunt Elk, unlimited over the couter tags for 3 point or better bull, or antlerless ?
A few years ago I read a thread on a different forum about an unscrupulous outfitter here in Washington state that had some very dissatisfied customers.
He was charging $4000 to sit in a tree stand or box blind over a pile of apples to hunt Roosevelt Elk, and $2600 to provide lodging and a map, calling it a "semi-guided" hunt.
As an outspoken member on several forums, I commented how that was not really elk hunting, and I was encouraged to start my own outfitter/guide business.
I figured that as a virtual newbie to the outfitter/guide business I would offer hunts for cost of supplies and fuel, but had issues on various forums asking for money to cover supplies and fuel without being a paid sponsor.
I lost contacts by not being allowed to offer hunts with "shared expenses", even banned from a very popular forum due to "advertising" without paying sponsor fees.
I have had numerous inquiries into coming out and hunting, but seems like they always want to come out "Next year"
I even offered these hunts for less than half of what other outfitter/guides were asking for the same thing.
I figure this is because I have no reputation, or referrences other than my personal friends.
So in the interest of making new friends, and establishing my credentials, so that in the future I can pay sponsor fees, and actually establish an outfitter/guide business, I am offering an invitation to any traditional archers to come join my camp (free of charge) to hunt for "True Roosevelt" in coastal Washington State.
I will share my 34+ years experience, scouting information and a campfire, allow usage of my 11 target 3D course, and assist in recovery of any harvested animals, and just have a good time as "Camp Host"
Again, free of charge, just a shared camp.

I need "happy campers", success photos, and testimonials, so I will put out an effort to make the trip memorable, area has a decent population of elk, bear and small game, a few blacktail, but really is just an elk hunt.
If you ever thought about hunting elk, here is an affordable opportunnity to give it a try, no guide fees, but the benefit of a locals knowledge of the herds and area.
Season runs from September 2nd-14th for elk, $497 for tag.
Harvest of elk has steadily increased during the past 10 years in area. This can be attributed to more favorable habitat conditions as a result of timber management practices. Game Management Unit 673 has experienced record harvest levels. A recent preseason elk composition flight in Williams’s creek (GMU 673) resulted in 27 bulls/100 cows and 36 calves/100 cows. In addition a recent bull mortality study completed in GMU 673 documented high survivorship of yearling bulls. This high survival would lead to greater numbers of available legal bulls.
Habitat conditions continue to improve because of an increase in timber harvest which increases available forage. Private timberlands have initiated increased road closures which should improve bull escapement rates and increase the number of bulls recruited to mature age classes. Additional road closures can provide a quality hunt for both deer and elk by reducing the number of hunters.

More information can be obtained at the WDFW website, harvest statistics and tag/license fees

http://wdfw.wa.gov/
http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/harvest/2011 ... mu_all.php
http://huntwashingtonstate.com/HWS/600_series.htm

bronco2

Re: Washington State Roosevelt Elk Hunt

#2 Post by bronco2 »

i would love to hunt elk..

Stiknstring

#3 Post by Stiknstring »

Here is a real good opportunity, what are you doing in September ?

bronco2

#4 Post by bronco2 »

nothing planed..

Stiknstring

#5 Post by Stiknstring »

Would be a real good time, except that you might get addicted.
Once you have a 600+ lb animal staring at you from mere feet away, deer will seem like rabbits.
If it is a bull, you will swear it can hear your heart pounding in your ears !
If he is screaming at us, and leveling the landscape, it really defines "target panic"
Pretty hard to reach full draw when you are shaking like a hound dog sh@ting peach pits !
But that is why it is fun !
Those encounters give you an adrenalin boost every time you re-live the experience.
On my way to put up a couple game cameras, and do a little scouting.
Will add a few pictures when I get back.

scaler

#6 Post by scaler »

I might be "Real" interested next year, as I have elk camp already planned this year. I may be able to get a group of 3-4 guys to come in on it also. If we live in Idaho, how much would the tag and license be?
I know your looking for this year, but keep me in mind for next year, and I will talk to our group. We like to enjoy a nice elk camp, and have a lot of fun packing out.

Thanks

Stiknstring

#7 Post by Stiknstring »

scaler wrote:I might be "Real" interested next year, as I have elk camp already planned this year. I may be able to get a group of 3-4 guys to come in on it also. If we live in Idaho, how much would the tag and license be?
I know your looking for this year, but keep me in mind for next year, and I will talk to our group. We like to enjoy a nice elk camp, and have a lot of fun packing out.

Thanks
"Real" interested ?
So are the 4 guys from Denmark, Father son team from Australia, a couple guys from Pennsylvania, virginia, etc...
I have more "next year" hunters than I can count.
I have been promised deposits, down payments, even told they would pay this year for "next year"
And I can see it, season runs Sept 8th-20th (closer to the rut) the Pink Salmon are running (1,500,000 fish) and might even have a chance at a blacktail buck, or a bear near my fishing spot.
But it will cost $$$, and space is limited, repeat customers get preferential treatment.
This year is free !

How about a 1st annual Glenn StCharles commemorative Elk Hunt, Washington State Roosevelt Elk, South of Raymond Washington (as written about in "Bows on the Little Delta").??

I will sweeten the pot by adding my "Thunderbolt" arrow box from Northwest Archery with Glenn StCharles signature , containing 11 Micro-Flite #10's (10 w/ Bear Razorheads, 1 w/ field tip) 29" b.o.p. (65-70#) with an additional Glenn St.Charles signed cedar arrow red/yellow barred fletching.
Only those in attendance will be available to win.
First come, First served, purchase of WA Elk tag, available over the counter, unlimited for $497 non resident.
I have tent space for 4, any others will have to provide their own.
Winner will be determined by those in attendance.
Only those in attendance will be available to win.
First come, First served, purchase of WA Elk tag, available over the counter, unlimited for $497 non resident required to attend.
I have tent space for 4, any others will have to provide their own tents.
Winner will be determined by those in attendance, limit on group size to be deterined by participants,
Odds of winning, pretty good.

scaler

#8 Post by scaler »

Ok, I am contacting my elk camp group today about this year!! If they are willing to fork out $500.00 for an out of state tag I will do it, as for room, we have 2 nice wall tents. You will have an answer this week.

John

scaler

#9 Post by scaler »

Majority say no. One from Texas doesn't care as he gets out of state tag for Idaho anyway. Our Wa. hunter has already bought his out of state Idaho tag, and the other 2 want to stay put.

Tried, as it sounds like a great hunt in a new area.

Good luck

Stiknstring

#10 Post by Stiknstring »

Oh, well.
I might have 3 hunters after all, waiting to hear a decision.

Return to “Events”