wooohoo I found my source

Share your curing methods and recipes.
Forum rules
Share all recipes and anything pertaining to the cooking of wild game.
Jamesh76

wooohoo I found my source

#1 Post by Jamesh76 »

called a local butcher today, I had been struggling to find fat to add to meat for burgers and sausage. in the past I have used pork butt, sausage and bacon. low and behold I have found pork fat for $1 per pound sure beats the heck out of bacon or sausage and pork butt prices .

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: wooohoo I found my source

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Sounds like a winner, James.
Not sure what my butcher used, but it works well.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

good deal, I have been wanting to try my hand at sausage making but I need to get a dang critter first. Do you make links or the patty style of sausage?

Jamesh76

#4 Post by Jamesh76 »

I make links and brats

Longtrad

#5 Post by Longtrad »

I love brats mail some to me!! :lol:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

Look at some of Ron's post on the recipes thread, he makes a lot of good looking stuff.

Jose

#7 Post by Jose »

You guys are making me hungry!

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

Mohawk taught me a trick, that has worked so well for me as far as ground meat. Instead of mixing tallows in the deer, just mix a portion of cheap hamburger into the ground deer right at the time of cooking it. Seems to me, tallow tends to change the deer meats flavor over time. I personally like it straight, but with hamburger mixed in it holds together alot better, and adds just enough fat for juicy burgers.
He also makes some of the best smoked summer sausage ive ever eaten
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Ole Dave

#9 Post by Ole Dave »

I, too, don't add fat to my ground venison. I trim all blue skin off deer and all deer fat. Deer fat goes rancid in freezer in a few months...so it's all cut off.

I'd read about using "kidney fat" for grinding once... tried it...harder then the hinges of hell... clogged the grinder too.

Never did that again.

One chap up home made the best sausage ever...he added some cheap beef, cheap pork cuts but the real trick was in the mix of woods he used to smoke it... OMG... He left our area and moved to KY... I never kept in touch and now I'm one state below KY...wish I could recall his name and find him... I just made MYSELF hungry and it's bed time!
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Gamestalker

#10 Post by Gamestalker »

We trim as much of the fat & tallow off the venison to keep it tasting better. Then I buy boneless (could use bone in, but then you're paying for bone & have to bone it out) pork shoulder to cut up & add in while grinding. That's what the butcher at the shop where we get our kielbasa made told us to do. We're happy with it.

Return to “Recipes”