Crock Pot Chicken and Rice

Share your curing methods and recipes.
Forum rules
Share all recipes and anything pertaining to the cooking of wild game.
Grizzly

Crock Pot Chicken and Rice

#1 Post by Grizzly »

I'm getting ready to build this concoction again in the 6 qt crock pot. Everyone loves it, but I'm always looking for something different. Anyone have another favorite?

First I lay down minced garlic over a little olive oil, then carrots split the long way in 2" or 3" lengths since they take a while to soften. Then split breasts and thighs for those who like dark meat. Then taters quartered with skins on and half of a butternut squash peeled and cut into 1" squares for a new flavor everyone now likes. An onion or two on top. Then I mix up a pkg of onion soup; Good Seasons Italian Dressing in a package or from a larger bulk pkg if you can find it; and a can of cream of chicken soup and finally enough chicken stock or broth to cover everything. About an hour before it is all ready, I'll add a cup and a half of rice and let it all cook till the rice softens and fills up the crock pot.

Sometimes I'll stretch it out another day or so, by cooking more of the ingredients on the stove or oven and adding as necessary. Keep some extra broth handy to keep it moist.

I've always enjoyed chicken and rice pots. Any favorites out there?
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

Re: Crock Pot Chicken and Rice

#2 Post by Graps »

My favorite is to fill a casserole dish with chicken parts ( we usually do legs and thighs but we prefer dark meat )
Then dump on Kraft Zesty Italian dressing all over the chicken
Then sprinkle on quite liberally, Parmesan Cheese.
Bake uncovered 350 deg for one hour to an hour and a half.
The Parmesan cheese will brown and crisp up the skin and the dressing permeates the meat with flavor.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

White Falcon

#3 Post by White Falcon »

Sounds good!

Lowcountry

#4 Post by Lowcountry »

Not a crock pot recipe, but here is my Chicken Bog recipe.

Fry a pound of sausage. While doing that, I pick the meat off of a rotisserie chicken. (I know, this is cheating, but this is the easiest, quickest, and cheapest method - and the chicken stays moist)

I then bring 6 cups of chicken stock to a boil.
Add salt and pepper
Once boiling, add the chicken and sausage
Return to a roiling boil and stir in 3 cups of rice
Return to a boil, put lid on, and turn to low
Cook on low for 20 minutes
Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 additional minutes
Fluff it up and dig in! I always add some creole or Cajun spice to my bowl.

White Falcon

#5 Post by White Falcon »

Sounds good!!!

Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly »

The kids would love that one spiced up. Me? I'd try it. The combinations looks good. Ah, good idea, I almost missed it; add spice to my bowl!!

Graps, which Kraft dressing? Creamy or the clear you have to shake up. That's the one I would think to use. I'll have to try both recopies out.

Any more?
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

That's Zesty Italian.
( the wife unit just set me straight )
I fixed it in the post too.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

My favorite crock pot dinner is beef (or venison) stew in a thick gravy sauce....mmmm!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Recipes”