Creamed Asparagus

Share your curing methods and recipes.
Forum rules
Share all recipes and anything pertaining to the cooking of wild game.
Graps

Creamed Asparagus

#1 Post by Graps »

This is an old recipe that I have changed slightly because I am gluten intolerant as well as having to watch my carbohydrates.

One bunch of asparagus
Half stick of butter ( not margarine )
One point of heavy whipping cream
Salt and pepper

Take a bunch of asparagus and wash it, cut about an inch off the bottoms and discard the cutoffs.
Then cut the rest of the bunch into about one inch long pieces and put them in a large frying pan.
Add about 1/4" of water and place it on the stove medium high heat.
When the water starts to boil, add a half stick of butter and keep mixing the whole contents around until the water is almost gone and you hear it starting to fry.
This is the only tricky part, you want the water gone but you don't want to burn anything either.
Now at that point, add a pint of heavy cream and turn the heat down to about half.
Keep sturing every minute or so until the butter gets so it's not separated in puddles but more or less kinda even all over the surface.
Now turn the heat down to almost the lowest setting and simmer stirring occasionally for about a half hour.
Then salt and pepper to tast........

This is a good side dish with meats cooked on a barbecue grill because it gives you time to light the coals, get them going good and spread around and time to grill the meat while the asparagus is simmering.
And if you simmer longer than a half hour, it's still fine as long as you keep sturing occasionally and it doesn't scorch.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Jamesh76

Re: Creamed Asparagus

#2 Post by Jamesh76 »

Thanks Dale!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Sounds good!
Aim small, miss small!

Jamesh76