Poppers!

Share your curing methods and recipes.
Forum rules
Share all recipes and anything pertaining to the cooking of wild game.
jaydee2trad

Poppers!

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

Over 30 years ago I was watching a dove hunting show in South America (I'm not a dove meat fan) and they began making poppers. I decided that I could do it with venison and so began making my own. I halve the jalopenos and spoon out the seeds. Then fill them with cream cheese. Next comes my marinated venison strips to be wrapped with bacon and held together with tooth picks. At first I did them on the grill but lost a lot of the cheese that way and so began doing them in the oven. The big problem in our house was too many hungry mouths waiting for each batch to get done. So I would end up making 50-70 of them at a time. I took ten of them to my parents who didn't eat much heat or venison. When I got back to the house, the phone was ringing. It was my father wanting to know if this was all that they were going to get? So I took them another pile. They are habit forming and I love them. The wife won't eat them with jalopenos so I make hers with sweet Italian peppers and everyone is happy. JD

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Poppers!

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Hard to beat good poppers! The venison sounds delicious!
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#3 Post by Grizzly »

Never had them. I think I'd be a sweet pepper fan too. Planted a couple this year along with some hotter ones for my daughter.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

jaydee2trad

#4 Post by jaydee2trad »

Actually, most jalopenos cool down to nothing with both the heat and the cream cheese. However, there is always one or two that keep you honest LOL. I'm going to make a cream cheese dip with roasted jalopenos and bacon with some diced up onions too. But I really mean to use the dip on sandwiches and hamburgers. lots of flavor!

Grizzly

#5 Post by Grizzly »

Many years ago, a few of the Vietnamese ladies who worked the mess hall and the club cooked up a huge batch of egg rolls and a sauce for those of us who worked with them in the mess assoc club. We'd wrap them in some leaves with a type of spaghetti noodle and dip them in that sauce and washed them down with beer. Loved them and still threaten my kids cats that I'll take them around to the local Saigon restaurant nearby and turn them into some really good egg rolls.

Thinking nothing was a miss, I turned in for the night, only to belch fire all night long. Today, if the bottle or whatever is not marked mild, I keep my distance.

My daughter's eyes lit up when I told her one of the pepper plants was marked jalapenos. I hope "she" enjoys them. The other plant was marked Thai. Maybe I'll get up some courage and try something she cooks up with them - maybe. I still remember one of the cooks who came back from downtown one night. He thought he could handle hot stuff. I guess he tried something really hot from over there and I'll never forget him carrying on and sweating as those hot peppers worked on his insides.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

jaydee2trad

#6 Post by jaydee2trad »

sweet... I mean "hot" memories!

Nock

#7 Post by Nock »

EA95D496-3D28-411C-B486-82C5102BCD10.jpeg
EA95D496-3D28-411C-B486-82C5102BCD10.jpeg (187.34 KiB) Viewed 763 times
Fixing to make me some.
Happiness is a tight chain!

jaydee2trad

#8 Post by jaydee2trad »

my pepper plants didn't do so hot this year, maybe because of all of the rain but they just didn't produce like last year.

Return to “Recipes”