A great find at the local salvage yard

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who also enjoy the fine craft of making Custom Knives and Hawks.
Forum rules
Topics include Knife and Hawk questions, advice and build alongs.
jaydee2trad

A great find at the local salvage yard

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I hit the salvage yard quite often looking for things to build or materials to build with. One day I hit the jackpot with a pile of round cutting blades from a chicken processing plant. They were all about a foot in diameter and instead of being like a table saw blade with teeth, they were simply one continuous sharp edge. I grabbed them all up and have been cutting out knife blanks out them ever since. You just never know what you will find at a salvage yard and the price is always very good. JD

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: A great find at the local salvage yard

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

That sounds like a great opportunity!
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#3 Post by Elkman »

Any pictures of your knives?
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

jaydee2trad

#4 Post by jaydee2trad »

pics will have to wait until after my wife gets better, she does my pics because I am so electronically challenged now fro previous brain tramau

jaydee2trad

#5 Post by jaydee2trad »

and sorry, I usually don't keep my knives around here very long. The last one was given as a gift to the VA Retina doctor in Little Rock in appreciation for him saving what sight I have left. I had pics of it and I was pretty proud of it but they were on my phone that went in the lake with me two weeks ago in 30' of water. lost my glasses too. it was a trac phone so all was lost.

Elkman
Site Admin

#6 Post by Elkman »

Dang the the bad luck! No need to apologize, we enjoy seeing what others make.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Jerry, didn't your mom teach you to get shed of your clothes and glasses before you go swimming? :lol:

Just joshin' ya. What happened that you ended up in the drink? :shock:
Aim small, miss small!

jaydee2trad

#8 Post by jaydee2trad »

Was in my aluminum boat, it is like a bass boat where you sit up high. I was trying out a new seat base that was moveable all around the boat. it was also rectangle shaped and I knew this and so had it sitting so that if i set the hook, it was the strongest and safest to keep from falling backwards. Being a little top heavy, I just barely leaned over to the right to pick up a dropped hook. it was a slow motion ain't nothing you an do you 're going in right now moment. it was over 30' deep there but only about 20 yards from the rocks of the dam. so, donated a few things and put the pedastol seat back in.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Sounds like a canoe trip I had once...
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Knives and Hawks”