Ordered a Norse viking Seax

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who also enjoy the fine craft of making Custom Knives and Hawks.
Forum rules
Topics include Knife and Hawk questions, advice and build alongs.
Margly

Ordered a Norse viking Seax

#1 Post by Margly »

Hi!
I do like beautiful knifes and has a small collection of knifes that I use for hunting and camping.

Lately I have ordered and bought two knifes from Scott A. Roush @bigrockforge.com

Here is the two knifes that are finished :)

Scott is a real artist in making useful knifes and hopefully he will chime in and share of his knowledge.

I will of course post pics from the progress of my new knife..:)

Margly
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are !

RUSTY

Re: Ordered a Norse viking Seax

#2 Post by RUSTY »

I definitely like Scott's knives!!!!!
Rusty

"If we must die, we die defending our rights!"-Sitting Bull <---<<<

Margly

#3 Post by Margly »

RUSTY wrote:I definitely like Scott's knives!!!!!

Me too :)
And they also holds a good edge too :mrgreen:
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are !

TradRat

#4 Post by TradRat »

Good looking knives. Very functional design for hunting and camping chores.
"It is not the end result but, the lessons and the journey of the hunt that count!" TW Lanoy

AWPForester

#5 Post by AWPForester »

wow!

ScottRoush

#6 Post by ScottRoush »

Thanks folks...

Interesting seeing my earlier work!

So the seax I'm making for Margly is something new for me... it's an attempt at a multi-bar composite construction. This is an ancient way of making blades. During much of the early Iron Age the steel required for the edges of swords and knives was a rare commodity... and it was uncommon to have single pieces of metal that was large enough to make an entire blade. So they were constructed by forge welding multiple bars of iron and steel together into a single blade. The core or spine was typically composed of pure iron and the edge would either be steel or an alloyed iron that was capable of 'hammer hardening'. The iron core was often composed of irons with different alloys as well contributing to a 'pattern welded' effect.. the pre-cursor to modern damascus.

This blade will be made by welding 3 bars of 200 year old wrought iron that was salvaged from a grain elevator (that happened to be built by Norwegian immigrants!). Two bars are low in phosphorus and one is high. This will create a contrast effect. Also.. two the bars have been twisted which yield a contrasting grain structure compared to the untwisted bar. Wrought iron is beautiful in that it has inherent patterns due to the heterogenous composition. Then the edge will be a bar of W1 tool steel. This will be my first attempt at a multi-bar construction. I've done single bar welds before.. but this is much more difficult and may very fail Margly! If it does.... I may go to a single bar... just so you know.

Here is a picture of a single bar that I did... wrought iron spine and W2 edge:

Also.. here is the first seax that I made... this one was constructed by making the steel by carburizing antique wrought iron bars into blade quality steel by soaking in a forge in a charcoal bath. This is also an ancient way of making steel:

And here is Margly's:

Not so pretty right now! The picture shows two of wrought iron bars already welded together. One twisted.. one not. And then another bar of twisted wrought iron.. and the wide bar is the W1. So hopefully this works and thanks to Margly for allowing me to attempt this.

Margly

#7 Post by Margly »

Hi Scott!
First of all welcome to tradhunter:)

I am really looking forward to watch the progress of my new seax:)

Margly

bjorn

#8 Post by bjorn »

Beautiful work! I think I need one!

TradRat

#9 Post by TradRat »

I think I'm liking the looks of that last knife best.
"It is not the end result but, the lessons and the journey of the hunt that count!" TW Lanoy

ronyag

#10 Post by ronyag »

Nice work, I am of Viking decent and may be interested in placing an order.
R Gaynor

Return to “Knives and Hawks”