Kershaw's Customer Service

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who also enjoy the fine craft of making Custom Knives and Hawks.
Forum rules
Topics include Knife and Hawk questions, advice and build alongs.
Grizzly

Kershaw's Customer Service

#1 Post by Grizzly »

This is the 2nd time I have sent a knife back to Kershaw. I was happy the first time and I'm amazed this second time. Over ten years ago, I lent a high dollar Kershaw folder to someone who broke the tip. This knife had G10 scales and premium steel. I turned it in to my Snap-on dealer who sent it in for me. When it returned I wasn't charged anything and it had a brand new blade. That was good - until it was stolen - oh well.

About 4 Kershaws before that knife was purchased, I bought a Kershaw Blackout 80 year Snap-on commemorative in the year 2000. Even though this blade was the lowly 440A, it took a keen edge and the spine was flat across the top and far enough, that I could clamp a Lansky sharpener to the blade. That made it easy to sharpen and this blade would get scary sharp. Well, I lost it that first year. I'd always thought it fell off into a car I'd been crawling around in about the time I noticed it was gone. That was around 2001 or maybe 2002. My daughter wound up with the next two Blackouts and Kershaw had changed the shape of the spine where a Lansky did'nt fit so well.

About 10 years ago my old garage started falling apart and leaking and finally was taken down. About two years ago, I was cleaning up the leaves and rubble and spotted a black Kershaw under the leaves. I thought it was one of the ones my daughter had lost. It was rusted shut but it didn't take much oil or pressure to get it to open. I was amazed to see that it was my old snap-on knife. It was still as sharp as the day I lost it, but the blackout coating on the blade was ruffed up some, but had prevented any rust. Not so for the liners. The liner that was part of the liner lock had rusted in two, along with the spring assist. The plastic scales had swelled a little.

At first, I looked for a parts knife on ebay, thinking I'd rebuild it and save that blade I liked so much. Finally, I sent it into Kersahaw and asked them to save the blade. It came back the other day. EVERYTHING was replaced and the blade was cleaned up as much as possible. It has new liners, new screws, new clip, new scales, new everything. I'd say the old "2000" commemorative blade has a real nice patina for me to remember this amazing 16 or 17 years it spent under the leaves and then under the stars.

Their customer service has given me a new respect for this company. As cheap as some of these knives are from the Chinese companies which are starting to really improve in quality, I think I'll have to pass on them. Kershaws aren't all that much more money, and the service can't be touched by many other companies that I know of; especially Chinese companies.

Craig
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

Re: Kershaw's Customer Service

#2 Post by Graps »

It's like a breath of fresh air to deal with a company that really puts the customer first.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Greg Felty

#3 Post by Greg Felty »

It's great to hear about the company's that go the extra mile.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Wow that's awesome!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Arcuites

#5 Post by Arcuites »

Thanks for the tip. Checked them out, nice collection and reasonable. Grizzly or others....recommendation on a folder everyday carry from them for $60'ish or under from these guys?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Like Griz, I have a Kershaw I bought from the Snap-On man...a Ken Onion Designs spring assist lockback. And like Griz, mine had to go back to Kershaw because the spring got weak and the blade safety latch broke. Well, they charged me $40.00 to fix it but what I got back was essentially a new knife. Sharp enough to shave with, too. The only thing I regret is buying the model with serrations on the blade. If I had it to do over I would get the standard blade version.

Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

Of all the different knives I have had in my life, I have never had a Kershaw.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:27 pm Of all the different knives I have had in my life, I have never had a Kershaw.
Gesundheit!
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

Danke

Graps

#10 Post by Graps »

Sprecken z deutsch ?

Return to “Knives and Hawks”