Help me come up with a design.

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who also enjoy the fine craft of making Custom Knives and Hawks.
Forum rules
Topics include Knife and Hawk questions, advice and build alongs.
Graps

Help me come up with a design.

#1 Post by Graps »

Today I ordered some maple burl and some birds eye maple to make a couple of knives with.
One is going to be a chef knife for me and the other is going to be a full tang sheath knife.
What I would like from you all, is blade style and if it should have a brass guard or not.
Slim handle or a good palm swell. That sort of stuff.
So how about it? I have ran out of ideas for something new.
If I like how it turns out, I might just let one of my other knives go. :P
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

Re: Help me come up with a design.

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

Graps you know me, the more I've used them the more I prefer a hard drop point. I think my Case sheath knife has the most attractive shape for a drop point I've seen.
20180919_200714-480x853.jpg
20180919_200714-480x853.jpg (88.58 KiB) Viewed 627 times
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

The thumb serrations would be a nice touch.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Lol....I didn't mention them on purpose....I knew you'd pick them right out even though the average person would likely never have noticed!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Love the shape of that blade also. The fancy britches ain’t bad either! 🤣😍

stumper

#6 Post by stumper »

I would love to see either a small hawkbill utility knife or my favorite blade shape the Sheepsfoot (never seen a fixed blade sheepsfoot).
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

A fixed blade sheepsfoot?
20180920_102906~01~01.jpg
20180920_102906~01~01.jpg (83.26 KiB) Viewed 614 times

Longtrad

#8 Post by Longtrad »

I'll agree it's hard to beat a drop point for a do it all belt knife. I like a guard on hunting knives but I don't like when they go all the way flush to the blade. Makes it harder for me to sharpen that area.

For cooking knives I like the German and Japanese designs. Thin handles since I typically pinch the blade when using these.

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

The scales came today.
This is going to be for the handle of this knife.
Still hoping for some more ideas.
20180922_092704~01.jpg
20180922_092704~01.jpg (69.76 KiB) Viewed 601 times

Grizzly

#10 Post by Grizzly »

For home use, my favorite go to chef knife is a very old carbon steel 10" Robinson. The steel thickness measures .088 right in front of the handle. I use a steel daily and it hasn't seen a stone in going on a year and still will "getch ya" if you get skin too close to that blade. I don't care for the bolsters on the German knives and won't let myself buy a Japanese knife because I know I'll love them and will need new stones.
The attachment IMAG0775 Old Homestead.jpg is no longer available
L to R, Comus by Camillus chrome over carbon steel 9" carver; thin and lightweight 8" carbon steel, chef knife by Old Hickory; Robinson 10" carbon steel, chef; inexpensive "Old Homestead" stainless 10" Chef made in Japan, maybe in the 70's. Gave it away after thinning the edge down. They are probably better than alot of what we see in stores today; 10" Robinson carbon steel Butcher knife. Thicker blade than their Chef and rarely used;
IMAG0775 Old Homestead.jpg
IMAG0775 Old Homestead.jpg (60.48 KiB) Viewed 600 times

(see next post for photo) The 8" Chef knife on the right is an old Kershaw by Kai Cut from Japan with Sandvik 13C26 steel. I like the steel alot, but it will rust pit if not dried regularly. This one is thicker and not as handy for veg prep at : surprise, surprise .089". I guess the "magic" in a chef knife comes from the knowledge and skill of the craftsman as he thins and shapes the blade to a proven design for the chores intended. The handle shape on the Kershaw is just not as comfortable as the much older and more proven traditional design of the Robinson.

I'm sure a professional cook will have much different opinions than I do as I have taken over the kitchen chores now that the wife can't any longer. I much prefer the rounder and smaller handles that curve a bit where you grip them over the more blocky, squared shapes of many older carbon steel knives. Then again, I've never made myself learn the pinch grip.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Knives and Hawks”