How about a FAT BOY?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who also enjoy the fine craft of making Custom Knives and Hawks.
Forum rules
Topics include Knife and Hawk questions, advice and build alongs.
Lowcountry

Re: How about a FAT BOY?

#11 Post by Lowcountry »

I'm in - thanks for the chance!

lol

Graps

#12 Post by Graps »

The steel I use for my knives is D-2.
The fat boy isn't going to get made right away. I was trying to thin it up and the magnet on the surface grinder let one end pull up and that blade is now scrap. :(
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Nock

#13 Post by Nock »

What thickness was you shooting for? I’ve worked with d2. Also A2 and O1. Always wanted to try making a knife.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Graps

#14 Post by Graps »

I was going for .078" and the handle end popped up off the mag chuck and before I could stop it, the last 1.5" is under .045"
I don't understand it, I was using flood coolant and only taking .0005" at a pass.
But, that kinda stuff happens once in awhile.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

#15 Post by Graps »

Two on a row.
This knife handle had a very bad void in it. I found it when I rough shaped the handle.
I tried the super glue trick but it just looks like crap.
Oh well, that's why they are called seconds.
20190118_161209~01.jpg
20190118_161209~01.jpg (44.13 KiB) Viewed 215 times
20190118_174733~01.jpg
20190118_174733~01.jpg (50.24 KiB) Viewed 215 times

Graps

#16 Post by Graps »

This is how it finished.
The blemish is all the way through to the other side.
20190124_224812~01.jpg
20190124_224812~01.jpg (45.72 KiB) Viewed 228 times
20190124_224820~01.jpg
20190124_224820~01.jpg (46.33 KiB) Viewed 228 times
:evil: Very upsetting :| BBWWWAAAAAA!! :cry:

Oh well, I can but more knife scales and steel.
PS: I'm glad I don't do this for a living. :lol:

Longtrad

#17 Post by Longtrad »

Heck I think it still looks great Graps

What was your troubles with the superglue? I have had mixed results myself, sometimes it turns out nice sometimes it has this white hazing. I figured out if you blow on it or move the glue any after a certain point it will have a good chance of turning white.

I have been playing with dap rapid fuse and have not had it turn white on me yet, but it is a thicker consistency than most superglue, doesnt wick into small cracks as well as the normal stuff.

Graps

#18 Post by Graps »

It has white bubbles in it. I might try and cut them out with a small carbide burr and refill it again.

Graps

#19 Post by Graps »

Or do like my wife suggested and pocket it out and insert a piece of turquoise.

Grizzly

#20 Post by Grizzly »

For giggles and grins I bought this set just to see how they would work out on veggies. A fellow from another forum is married to a Thai and they have a little restaurant and use these till they can't be sharpened anymore - probably when they get below those grooves ground into the blade to act as mini serrations I guess. They are so thin and light they are hard to get used to at first. But, these babies will slice veggies thinner that my other knives and all they require is a few passes on the steel to keep them sharp.

My point is these are way thinner than your .045

Where I normally put 3 side cuts in an onion, these will do 5 or 6. I'll have to dig out my digital calipers, but just looking at the blade and remembering the width of a spark plugs gap, these things are thinner than that. Rather than scrap the blade, maybe even it out real thin with a flat grind and try it out in the kitchen. It may surprise you. Without those serrations or whatever you call that, I wonder if you would have to put a single bevel on something that thin. Sort of like the Japanese kitchen knives. Bet is would slice tomatoes paper thin if you wanted to.

https://www.amazon.com/Utility-Knives-C ... ecd55-2058

Mine came in about a month or two. I think they travel across Thailand packed on the back of a water buffalo and then are loaded on that slow boat from China.

Found my calipers. They are .040 at the spine. The blade thickness at the top of the serrations is .033 and tapers to .013 at the edge. Perty thin.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Knives and Hawks”