prayers for Doc Ashby

This forum is for sharing all your prayers for family and fellow members of the traditional archery community.
Forum rules
Prayers and concerns involving members families and friends.
Shadowhntr

Re: prayers for Doc Ashby

#11 Post by Shadowhntr »

Good point Dave. I never understood what is so modern or high tech about front loaded arrows anyway. Many of the higher FOC arrows in history, were ancient with stone points. I dont think Dr Ashby found something brand new, but he did try to wake us modern archers up to the fact, that they had this all figured out even way back then. Idk if they knew the calculations and figures, but its obvious they knew what seemed to work best. UEFOC, is NOT new, its as ancient as can be...
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Ole Dave

Re: prayers for Doc Ashby

#12 Post by Ole Dave »

Shadowhntr wrote:Good point Dave. I never understood what is so modern or high tech about front loaded arrows anyway. Many of the higher FOC arrows in history, were ancient with stone points. I dont think Dr Ashby found something brand new, but he did try to wake us modern archers up to the fact, that they had this all figured out even way back then. Idk if they knew the calculations and figures, but its obvious they knew what seemed to work best. UEFOC, is NOT new, its as ancient as can be...
Indeed...one of Ed's articles was of a s. pacific tribe (???) that has huge long serrated wooden points...in WWII a airbase was put on that island and when abandoned, they had access to metal.

They made steel points that Ed researched (and shot) that were 1000 grains! They shot flat bows off their knuckle with twisted up bark strings... Get this: arrows were up to 4' long! I don't recall if they even had fletch...some I've seen somewhere, did NOT!

He said he thought they were clowns maybe when he got there as each man had arrows that were varied in length in his poke... but it turned out that using all live natural fibers, they "TUNED" each arrow to THEIR bow... and some would be 4' and some way shorter, depending on the "spine" of that material.

Doc said he actually shot one of their bows a bit and actually got where he could hit something.. big news was this area was pretty open country and the animals they hunted were LONG SHOTS... with those 1000 gr. points and 4' arrows... Seriously!

There indeed IS NOTHING new under the sun!!! People survive and their survival dictates things we may never know... and even when exposed to their knowledge, some refuse to accept... The Ego of man will be his undoing! :(
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Return to “Prayers”