Bear bows and tackle

History of Archery and collecting antique and collectible Traditional Archery supplies.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the history of archery. The collecting of antique and collectible traditional archery items. Not for selling items or trading. Not for selling items you manufactured unless you are a sponsor.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Bear bows and tackle

#31 Post by Captainkirk »

Captainkirk wrote:So, after some debate (and heated argument) with myself, I chose to pick up a Bear Kodiak Hunter rather than the Kodiak Magnum. I got me a very nice 1970 model, as pictured in my other thread in the "Campfire". This makes three Bears in my collection;
*Early '70's Grizzly (no markings)
*1969 Tamerlane
*1970 Kodiak Hunter
I'm very impressed at the durability and timeless looks and function of these vintage Classic bows.
And I'm not saying I won't add to the collection as time goes on, either!
Wasn't much of an argument, I guess. I lost.
A few weeks after I got the K-hunter I bought a K-mag anyway.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#32 Post by Captainkirk »

D'oh! Forgot to post the pictures, dummy!

First, the Kodiak Hunter:

What appears to be green glass on the limbs is actually gray, known by Bear Archery as 'Arctic Gray'
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#33 Post by Captainkirk »

Now, for the Kodiak Magnum...
Pay no attention to the cumbersome sight on the bow. I have removed it, and it shoots and handles like a dream despite the ugly screw holes left in the front of the riser, which I will address at some future date:

This one is all green with the blue contrast stripe down the middle of the riser; with green tip lams. Aside from the nicks and scrapes and ugly holes, It's quite a handsome bow.

As you can see, the K-Mag is quite a bit shorter at 52" AMO than the K-Hunter at 60" AMO!

Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#34 Post by Captainkirk »

I love these late Sixties/early Seventies Grayling Bears! I'm sure there will be more added down the line, somewhere!
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#35 Post by Carpdaddy »

Nice bows Capt, just need a few blood stains from deer!

Shadowhntr

#36 Post by Shadowhntr »

Carpdaddy wrote:Nice bows Capt, just need a few blood stains from deer!
OUCH......
Man he's relentless! :lol:

Dont worry kirk this is your year......or the next one......
.or the next one.....or the next one.....or the next one.... :mrgreen:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#37 Post by Captainkirk »

Know what?
I'm not worried about it.
Seriously.
I don't need venison to survive, or need to hunt to shoot and enjoy collecting my bows (especially the vintage Bears). If I get out and hunt, it's icing on the cake, but I don't get all freaked out and stuff. I spent over an hour last evening just looking at and polishing my vintage Bears...maybe that makes me weird or sump'n but it puts a big ol' smile on my face!
I really appreciate the craftsmanship, pride and quality that were built in at the factory.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#38 Post by Carpdaddy »

I'm fur you Captain. Some enjoy collecting & shooting, some like 3D targets but don't hunt, and some like to hunt. I say do what you enjoy and grin. I am just a hunter, don't care so much about the appearance, scuffs, and scrapes on my bows. I'll enjoy looking at your collection of you will tolerate my focus on hunting! We all learn from each other and compliment one another. :mrgreen:

Shadowhntr

#39 Post by Shadowhntr »

HAHAHA!!!!! I guess I must be a "in the middle mix" of the two of ya. I am a hunter.....always have been, always will be. It's my passion. Have I hunted with ugly, cheap bows? Absolutely! But I have also enjoyed fine bows on the hunt. Right now, I have 2 inexpensive custom longbows....and honesly, the homely osage orange bow continually calls to me, over the fancy bacote wood one. I love them both, and the bacote bow is actually smoother to draw, and shoot.....Im more accurate with it.....but the osage calls my name, over and over to hunt. I can't shake it, and I can't be deaf to it. So far, everyone that has looked at it, never says a stinking word, and ooooo's and aaaaaa's over the bacote bow. But she's fast, accurate enough, and there is something primal,,,,,,something connective, with the osage bow. Sure,,,,,it's ugly...to YOU.....NOT ME.

HOWEVER....I cannot discount the absolute beauty of the bacote bow. She is gorgeous! Im proud to carry her any where! I do believe she wants to hunt too, but right now, she is a beauty queen....in a pagent, trying to win my heart. I see the beauty in the "drab" osage bow, but I also see the hunter in the Bacote bow.....all in time....all in time.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#40 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote:HAHAHA!!!!! I guess I must be a "in the middle mix" of the two of ya. I am a hunter.....always have been, always will be. It's my passion. Have I hunted with ugly, cheap bows? Absolutely! But I have also enjoyed fine bows on the hunt. Right now, I have 2 inexpensive custom longbows....and honesly, the homely osage orange bow continually calls to me, over the fancy bacote wood one. I love them both, and the bacote bow is actually smoother to draw, and shoot.....Im more accurate with it.....but the osage calls my name, over and over to hunt. I can't shake it, and I can't be deaf to it. So far, everyone that has looked at it, never says a stinking word, and ooooo's and aaaaaa's over the bacote bow. But she's fast, accurate enough, and there is something primal,,,,,,something connective, with the osage bow. Sure,,,,,it's ugly...to YOU.....NOT ME.

HOWEVER....I cannot discount the absolute beauty of the bacote bow. She is gorgeous! Im proud to carry her any where! I do believe she wants to hunt too, but right now, she is a beauty queen....in a pagent, trying to win my heart. I see the beauty in the "drab" osage bow, but I also see the hunter in the Bacote bow.....all in time....all in time.

Jason, Jason....you simply can't talk about bows like that and not show pictures. It's, why...it's UNETHICAL, is what it is! Redeem thyself whilst there is still time! :shock:
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Collecting & History”