An awesome reminder of yester-year/old fletching jig

History of Archery and collecting antique and collectible Traditional Archery supplies.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the history of archery. The collecting of antique and collectible traditional archery items. Not for selling items or trading. Not for selling items you manufactured unless you are a sponsor.
Shadowhntr

An awesome reminder of yester-year/old fletching jig

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

I went to visit my Daddy and Mama this past weekend. They are reaching an age, where they know their time is short. Being the servants they are, they don't want to bog us kids and family down with trying to sort through a bunch of their stuff when they are gone. Of course a will of sorts is in place, but what to do with the little things is the chore.

Ironically, I asked Dad whatever happened to his old fletching jig. He laughed and said it was in a box in the back room, and was setting out to see if id be interested in having it. I fletched arrows as a kid with this thing, and he had it a long time before I ever used it. Of course, I did want it, and brought it home feeling VERY happy and Blessed. It's fully operational with strong clamps, and would fletch an arrow this minute if I chose to do so. He also gave me a couple dozen nocks that look like Mercury Speed nock originals, a few very old field tips, and 8 modern replaceable blade broadheads that look like NAP Thunderheads. I havent weighed them but are looking like 100-125gr.

It's a jig made by Hoyt, called the "Tri-Heli_Fletch". Here is what it looks like. Helical clamps on left, straight clamps on right.

Here, you can see the springs on the outer edges, and the ball bearings the clamps pivot on.

The bottom of the bottom

top of the bottom. notice the clips the clamps slide into. You cant see it, but there is a nock holder in the bottom of the center hole.

bottom of top

top of the top.

The original piece of cedar block Dad used for a base with a hole drilled in it to hold the jig in place.

What it looks like in the block.

With a shaft in place.

With shaft and all three clamps in clips on jig. This is a tapered shaft, which obviously this jig and clamps were not made to fletch, so you may see some daylight.

The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

Re: An awesome reminder of yester-year/old fletching jig

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

I just talked to Dad, and he said he bought it in the late 1950's

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Sweet! What a great piece of family history!
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

That is awesome, that jig will surely put a little extra mojo into an arra.

Hmm had no clue hoyt was that old of a company, I always associated them with wheelies.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

I think you mean Clay.

Yes Hoyt is a very old company. One of my Dads favorite bows, was a Hoyt recurve. Im not sure of the model, but it was a 64" bow, and 45lb@28". Dad still talks about how smooth that bow shot, and how accurate it was. It had to be a late 1940's to early 1950's bow. Wish I had it, but he traded it off long ago.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote:I think you mean Clay.
Yep. Duh... :?
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Collecting & History”