Painted arrows

History of Archery and collecting antique and collectible Traditional Archery supplies.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the history of archery. The collecting of antique and collectible traditional archery items. Not for selling items or trading. Not for selling items you manufactured unless you are a sponsor.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Painted arrows

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

I have a few remaining arrows left from a dozen that my Dad had bought along with my 'Baby Ben' Pearson glass bow in the late sixties...none of them are in shootable condition, and due to their age, I doubt if I would shoot them if they were. Just wondering how they would have managed to align the grain if the entire shaft is painted; or didn't they worry about stuff like that back then?
Aim small, miss small!

Crazynate

Re: Painted arrows

#2 Post by Crazynate »

I bet they didn't worry about it back then for certain arrows. I read a ton of of archery magazines and articles from the 40-60s and it's almost as if archery was different back than. They did a lot the same as us but some of the things we worry about I don't think they gave it 2 thoughts. I have 1 book with Howard hill it discussing arrow building. He said nick alignment was more for cutting self nocks not glue one. When I build woodies I pay no attention to it and my arrows fly great. But I'm no expert either lol.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

Maybe you could still tell from the cut end of the shaft, just mark the grain orientation there before you dip

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Here is one of the arrows; orange with orange/black fletching. Can anyone ID this (Bear, Pearson, etc?)

Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

The color came out kinda wonky. They are bright orange.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Longtrad wrote:Maybe you could still tell from the cut end of the shaft, just mark the grain orientation there before you dip
Yeah, that's probably how I'd do it, Clay.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#7 Post by Longtrad »

I really like the full painted look, I made up some white shafted arrows and they were really easy for me to find while stump shooting. I also had all red with yellow dots and all blue woodies before. I dig em.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Bear used to sell them that way, also Pearson I believe. It's definitely a vintage look; reminds me of the Golden Age of Archery.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

Had a dozen laying around for years, like a dummy I sold them.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote:... like a dummy...
:roll:
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Collecting & History”