Favorite Pieces

History of Archery and collecting antique and collectible Traditional Archery supplies.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the history of archery. The collecting of antique and collectible traditional archery items. Not for selling items or trading. Not for selling items you manufactured unless you are a sponsor.
Crazynate

Favorite Pieces

#1 Post by Crazynate »

I am kind of an odd ball collector. The goal of collecting for me is to preserve history and while bows do that by themselves I really tend to track down "paper" items and oddball things more than I do bows. These are a few of my personal favorites. 2 Detroit made quivers by Bear. A box of 1956 Bubblehead razorheads with 1dz SILVER pin-holes. A cool match book from the NFAA tournament in 1958 that was in Grayling. An early version of the knife and file kit with the aluminum sheeth. My favorite bow which is an early 80s Greenstripe. Than also a few very hard to find catalogs. #23,#25, 1955,1957,1959. The 1957 is my favorite since these are VERY scarce. Bear had a small fire at the plant when they printed the 57 catalogs and to get catalogs out they glued covers from the 57s to actual 1956 catalogs and sent them out. The one I have is mint condition and is actually the 1957 catalog. I have a really old running Bear decal that I love and also a letter typed and signed by Fred that he sent with a copy of the Bear Museum booklet to a gentleman I know outa state that was a Bear dealer in the 1960s. He treasured this and now I do as part of my collection. The best part about collecting to me is finding items that were special to someone else. To me it makes them priceless. Thanks for letting me share guys. Nate Image
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Favorite Pieces

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Oh, man...those are some amazing relics from The Golden Age! You should count yourself very lucky to claim ownership of those, especially the catalogs. I love the drawing of Mama Bear checking on her cubs' antics in the tree...priceless!
Aim small, miss small!

Crazynate

#3 Post by Crazynate »

Thanks Kirk. Those catalogs are super cool to read through. I had the opportunity to buy the other ones I need from the 50s but they're just to pricey for my blood lol. I'll keep on the prowl fro them at least for the time being. But I am very blessed to have found these ones.

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Really neat stuff Nate! Thanks for sharing!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

wonderful stuff.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Where do you find relics like these? Ebay or ???
Aim small, miss small!

Crazynate

#7 Post by Crazynate »

I do not buy much on eBay to be honest. Stuff is way overpriced most of the time IMO. 2 guys with more money than brains can drive a price sky high and when that happens people that see it think oh I have one of those mine must be worth that too. In reality it's not but then it just drives the prices sky high lol. Once and awhile a good deal presents itself and you can score. I have bought a few bows on there for a good price but they are usually buy it now bows that I catch right when they are listed. Also I have gone to lots of shoots and gatherings over the last few years and I have met some great people in the collecting world and made friends with lots of them. My friend Kevin Bishop is a huge collector and he's been by sorta my mentor in a way. He was the collector Interviewed by Fred Asbell in Traditional Bowhunter 2 years ago. He is a great guy and I literally text him almost daily just to pick his brain or share a score and he does the same when he finds a deal. He knows dozens of collectors and through him I can usually find whatever I am searching for. They are all willing to help and that's what's so fun. He's old school in a way and I try to use the same approach as he does. I do it the "hard" way. I get my name out there at local shops and places like cabelas and when people know your interested in this stuff they will send people your way. And I always am 100% honest and fair with people and that goes a long way with people. Sadly there are people that will take advantage of people not knowing something and I just don't do it that way. But Lots of people bring old bows and gear into these places and 95% of the time the guys working there are crossbows shooters and they have no idea what the bows are or what they're worth. So I get a lot of calls that way. I got my MINT 58 Kodiak with white glass from a 92 yr old man that brought it into cabelas to sell. I showed it to Wade Phillips and he said it's one of the nicest ones he's ever seen. I have also hung cards and signs up at places. I even put an add on Craigslist saying I was looking for old Bear items and I actually have received multiple calls that way. Instead of just saying I want to buy I offer to just help with information or value the best I can and often times people I do that for will call me a few weeks later and say they want to sell it to me. That big lot of stuff I bought 2 months ago was from a guy that saw my add. Whenever I meet someone to buy a bow or whatever I always ask them to send people my way and people actually call once in awhile. I don't mind givyout my email or phone #. I also live in Bear Country. I am regularly up around Grayling and surrounding areas and I never pass a garage sale lol. Most of the time I don't score or but once in awhile I do and it's worth it. I also had a good transaction with a gentleman 2 years ago on the other trad gang and since then he has been piecing off his bear stuff to me little by little. He is a super nice guy and I am fortunate to be able to buy from him. I bought that Bear film (which should be done any day now) from him. Other than that it's really just luck. I do put almost all my spare time and money into collecting and it does take lots of work but I just love it.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Those are some great tips, wouldn't have thought of that myself. I'm just a casual collector, but cherish the items I do have. I really appreciate you sharing your collectibles and insight with us, brother...
Aim small, miss small!

Crazynate

#9 Post by Crazynate »

my pleasure. I live to talk archery and collecting. Not many people to do it with that I know.

Return to “Collecting & History”