Vintage bow catalogs

History of Archery and collecting antique and collectible Traditional Archery supplies.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the history of archery. The collecting of antique and collectible traditional archery items. Not for selling items or trading. Not for selling items you manufactured unless you are a sponsor.
Greg Felty

Vintage bow catalogs

#1 Post by Greg Felty »

I found this and thought I would share if anyone is interested.

http://www.vintagearchery.org/catalogs-by-year.html
Last edited by Captainkirk on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made Sticky
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Graps

Re: Vintage bow catalogs

#2 Post by Graps »

Very interesting.
Thanks for sharing.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Wow! A lotta meat and potatoes there!
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#4 Post by Grizzly »

Those were the days. I went straight to a 1966 Browning catalog. Saw a drawing of a hunter sitting on a tree limb lining up on a deer with a recurve. Their fanciest model, the Challenger, a real heavy duty beauty was twice what a nice hunting bow cost. I came back from Viet Nam in 1969 and bought a Ben Pearson 52" recurve for about 67.50 or so. That shop looked like some of those catalogs and the man tried his darndest to get me to buy something better - for my own good. But nope, I wouldn't listen. This was on sale and that's what I bought - dummy. It really stacked at my, back then, longer 29" draw length. Still have it and wish it were something else - like maybe a Browning 54" Safari 1 which I now have 2 of (one is labeled a Deluxe Composite, {Dad's bow, he paid $40. used in '69 after I declined to buy it :roll: } which predates the Browning Safari 1 and is the original pattern) or a Bear Alaskan or one of the many target bows, or even a Grizzly which I finally bought a 1966 beauty many years later to rekindle my love of recurves and archery. Whoever assembled this collection did a fantastic job. I wonder when he made it available. I never saw this years ago. There were other groups of catalogs folks had done, but this is outstanding.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Jamesh76

#5 Post by Jamesh76 »

Nice, looks like I got some research to do at work tonight.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Man, oh man...this link is a literal TREASURE TROVE of information!!!
Like, in the vintage Bear catalogs, not only are there pictures and descriptions of the various models, but technical info as well! (such as factory brace height recommendations!!!)
Thanks so much for posting this, Greg! It's invaluable info for any collector.
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

#7 Post by Greg Felty »

I found it when I was searching for info on my latest find the Ben Pearson Raider.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Greg Felty

#8 Post by Greg Felty »

I just found the rest of the site I got the catalog off of. It has a lot more info. http://www.vintagearchery.org/

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

OK, just stickied this topic. Thanks for sharing, Greg!
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#10 Post by Grizzly »

I'm not sure how Capt :? "stickled this topic" :? but I also saved it to favorites, just above some "other" trad forums. :D

Thanks again, that was a great find. Just looking at all the old bow photos makes me wish I had a pocket full of money, a time machine and one of the old archery shops to spend every Friday night in, paying off lay-aways and trying out other bows.

Craig
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Collecting & History”