Broadhead collecting discussion

History of Archery and collecting antique and collectible Traditional Archery supplies.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the history of archery. The collecting of antique and collectible traditional archery items. Not for selling items or trading. Not for selling items you manufactured unless you are a sponsor.
Grizzly

Broadhead collecting discussion

#1 Post by Grizzly »

I always enjoyed spending an evening looking at the broadhead collections when we went to the Compton Traditional Bowhunters Rendezvous up in Southwestern Michigan at Berrien Springs. Maybe you will share what you had.

It seems that many hunters obsess seeking that perfect broadhead. It's fun to see all the variations that tinkerers have come up with over the years. For deer anyway, I would think that any broadhead that stays together and can be made sharp will get the job done if it can fly true. Would you say that is heresy or true?

Did you experiment with your collection on deer? That would be an interesting venture. I remember doing that with most all the bows I had. The one broadhead that I never did try out on a deer is one my Dad bought as he believed the advertising back in the day. I think he was impressed with how it would core an apple. I don't think thought that it worked very well on a deer. I'll post this on the Collecting and History forum just in case you care to join in.
00small13718051.JPG
00small13718051.JPG (79.74 KiB) Viewed 720 times
411e1065a75515a26728c010342bb96c.jpg
411e1065a75515a26728c010342bb96c.jpg (5.97 KiB) Viewed 720 times
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Broadhead collecting discussion

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

I have seen those before, but seriously doubt the effectivity. Thinking pass-thru's would be non-existent.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

I remember when those came out in the mid 70s and they were terrible.
Impossible to sharpen and the penetration was very bad.
Shortly after they came out they were banned here in Michigan.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#4 Post by Grizzly »

A case of designers loosing touch with reality. Or, the need to sell something obsessing their mind: a case of deception causing a blindness to reality.

But they did work really good on apples - and as someone experimented with - watermelons
download (3).jpg
download (3).jpg (6.77 KiB) Viewed 706 times
It looks like it cuts a hole on either side of the point!!!!
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Grizzly

#5 Post by Grizzly »

Graps wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:14 pm I remember when those came out in the mid 70s and they were terrible.
Impossible to sharpen and the penetration was very bad.
Shortly after they came out they were banned here in Michigan.
I wonder how they worded that in the regulations.

Something like, only flat sided broadheads may be used? Or did they specifically mention the Serpentine head by Browning?

I still have Dad's fiberglass shafts with one or two of those heads mounted. I don't think he ever took a shot with one.

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

If I remember correctly, it was something like couldn't cut a hole. There were a few at the time, one was like a three blade and cut 6 holes.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

wi-bo-hunter

#7 Post by wi-bo-hunter »

If you have ever looked at a large broadhead collection and attempted to differentiate between the various types of broadheads displayed, you will find: models made for sale to the public, experimental models, one-of-a-kind versions, and homemade products. The largest group will be those manufactured for sale to the public. One thing to remember about all of them however is that most represent a product failure and are no longer being produced and used. The ones that met their customer's needs, were priced right, and were available as needed by consumers are viewed as successful and to this day remain on the market. The remainder, the product failures. for one reason or another, eventually were taken off the market and are no longer manufactured. The American Broadhead Collector's Club recognizes over 4,000 physically different broadheads. Of these, it is estimated that lesss than 1,000 different models are currently still in production and for sale to consumers.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

The above reasons are exactly why I shoot Zwickey Eskimos. Tried and true with a phenomenal track record over the years! I've been considering trying Woodsman BH's, but haven't yet convinced myself I'd be buying anything substantial by switching. And then, there's always that 'whistle of death' thing...
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#9 Post by Grizzly »

Blackhawk Field Archers always had a broadhead shoot near the end of the season. It was great for trying our different heads. iirr I can's say the Woodsman flew any better for me than my Magnus 2 blades or even my Ace 2 blades that were about the same size as the Zwicky Eskimos. Maybe a little, but I had plenty of the two blades and they were working just fine.

I have a few old Bear Razorheads on arrows from the 60's we hunted with but never did stock up on them. I could kick myself for passing up a bucket of them on 2117's years ago in my compound days.

The targets for the shoot were heavy carboard with the animals drawn on them with no scoring rings. The scoring rings were on the back of the target. If you only wanted to boost your score, those huge Magnus three blades were the ones to use.

wi-bo-hunter

#10 Post by wi-bo-hunter »

The mention of broadhead competition at deer silhouette targets, brings back many memories. A good trick to score well was always to use a big head with 3 or 4 blades! Famous WI bowhunter Roy Case started the practice of shooting deer targets with broadheads in 1946 with the first WI Bowhunters Assoc. "Necedah" Shoot.

Return to “Collecting & History”